Actions and Detail Panel
Anxiety Camp for Therapists: Treating Fears, Phobias & Anxiety
Mon, May 8, 2017, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
This intensive one-day workshop will teach therapists how to incorporate the principles of Anxiety Camp into their own practices. It will teach participants strategies for:
· Changing the way clients think about feared situations.
· Developing mindful awareness of your thoughts and reactions.
· Learning to cue your body to relax physically in any situation.
· Facing your fears in a gradual, logical way.
· Managing social anxiety with assertive communications skills.
The learning objectives of the workshop are:
· Learn to run a short-term group psycho-educational program for anxiety sufferers and family members.
· Review four key evidence-based strategies for treating fears and phobias: physical relaxation and mindfulness, cognitive-behavioral therapy, gradual exposure, and assertive communications skills.
· Learn techniques for effectively engaging a group of anxiety sufferers.
· Explore how to integrate a brief group psycho-educational program for anxiety into your own psychotherapy practice.
Anxiety Camp was designed in 2009 as a low-cost, community-based psycho-educational program to teach anxiety sufferers and their families how to become their own anxiety therapists, combining principles from cognitive-behavioral therapy, mindful-awareness, physical relaxation and assertive communications skills. It has been a very effective intervention, leading to consistent reductions of 50-60% in measured participant anxiety levels in as little as one weekend.