4 years. More than 250 hackathons. More than 72 cities around the globe. We’ve seen it all. And from all of these events, we’ve noticed one thing: Anyone. Can. Code.
Age, race, gender, experience level, it doesn’t matter. Passion and dedication is what you need to create apps and technologies that have never been imagined before. Implementation and creativity are what differentiate you. Mind and skill are what conquer all.
Welcome to AngelHack’s 9th Global Hackathon Series, where Anyone. Can. Code.
Let’s face it, prizes just make hackathons more fun. That’s why each year, we team up with our sponsors to bring you an awesome set of prizes. Drumroll please:
Grand Prize: An exclusive invite to our HACKcelerator Program
- A 12-week Curriculum to turn your hackathon idea into a startup reality
- A diverse network of both local and global mentors
- Weekly guest speakers
- A chance to fly to Silicon Valley for our Annual Global Demo Day and participate in a week of extensive pitch training!
Amazon Web Services
Prize: $100 in AWS Credits per person through AWS Activate and
- AWS Free Usage Tier
- 1 month AWS Support at Business level
- AWS Technical Essentials Online Training ($600 value)
- AWS Business Essentials Online Training ($600 value)
- 80 credits for Self-paced labs Training ($80 value)
- 1:1 Office Hours with AWS Solutions Architects
- Access to the Startup Blog and Startup Forum
- Special "Self-starter" Third-Party offers
Challenge: Develop an app for iOS, Android, web, or Windows that uses the WILL SDK with a focus on productivity, writing, games, or other novel uses of digital ink.
The top two WILL SDK projects from all over the globe will win the following:
- Selected as finalists in the global Wacom Inkathon
- All expense paid trip to CES in January 2017
- Finalists will then pitch for a chance to win $10,000, $5,000, or $2500 prizes.
WILL SDK Link: https://developer.wacom.com/technologies/will-universal-ink
Global Prize Submission Link: http://goo.gl/forms/tVJP8InYft
HPE Haven OnDemand
Challenge: Build the most innovative cognitive computing solution to augment human intelligence using the HPE Haven OnDemand natural language processing, machine learning, and predictive analytics APIs.
Prize: 1 GoPro – HERO4 Session HD Waterproof Action Camera for each active member of the team (max 5 units).
Stay Tuned for More Prizes to Come!
- The Challenge is Simple. AngelHack’s nonprofit arm, Code For A Cause, is challenging superhero coders to build a technology that will have a positive impact on the world, people, or environment.
- The Prize is Awesome. At the end of the 9th Global Series, the top three Code4Impact Award Winners will be invited to the AngelHack HACKcelerator Program. One of these three lucky teams will be flown out to San Francisco, for our 5th Annual Global Demo Day and will pitch to some of the largest Accelerators and Investors in the world, while meeting with leading social entrepreneurs. For more details click here.
By joining an AngelHack hackathon, you are becoming part of a global, connected community of coders, innovators, and changemakers.
Beyond that, an AngelHack hackathon offers the following:
- Games and activities to keep you PUMPED! (Nerf war anyone?)
- The opportunity to work with other like-minded individuals
- Awesome food, and LOTS of it. A hackathon is nothing without tons of food.
- The opportunity to learn some new skill sets
- Swag on swag on swag!
Never been to an AngelHack hackathon? You’re in for a treat! Here's what you can expect.
09:00 AM : Doors Open to Attendees / Breakfast of Champions
10:30 AM : Opening Ceremony and Sponsor Talks
12:00 PM : Coding Begins
01:00 PM : Lunch
07:00 PM : Dinner
08:00 AM : Breakfast
12:00 PM : Lunch
01:00 PM : Hackathon Ends / Submissions due on hackathon.io.
02:00 PM : Demos Begin / Demos only / No Slide Decks
(If your demo doesn’t work, take us through the code of
what you did and where you got stuck. It’s about showing what you’ve learned and not about pitching an idea)
04:00PM: Winners are Announced / Prizathon!
Schedule subject to awesome changes. Stay Tuned!
We know some rules are meant to be broken, but you should probably stick by these:
1. Fresh Code
We all start coding at the same time. This is done to keep things fair. No one is allowed to come in and build on top of previous projects. It’s cool to work on designs beforehand, digital mockups, open source frameworks, and anything else available to everyone, but keep things within fair limits.
2. Code Review
Winning teams will be subject to a code-review at some point following the event or immediately before winning. This is to ensure that all code used is in fact fresh.
3. Ownership and IP
Teams have full ownership of everything they build at our events and are free to do with it as they wish.
4. Team Size
Teams of up to 5 humans are allowed. You can also add 1 cyborg, Furby, drone, or Sphero.
Each hackathon has its individual hackathon.io page, which projects should be submitted on. Submissions take place after 24 hours of pure hacking.
6. DEMO your Hack
You must demo your hack in order to present. No slide-decks or Powerpoint will be allowed. Two minute presentation and one minute Q&A from Judges.
7. Have a damn good time!
What should I build?
Let your gut guide you! We usually like to see projects that are innovative, and have the potential to improve or influence people’s lives. Try to build a hack that people can use, enjoy, and potentially scale. Most importantly, have fun with it and try to finish on time. We know you can only do so much in 24 hours, so it’s ok if your project is not perfect (yet).
Who can attend?
Anyone and everyone! Our attendees typically consist of junior developers looking to improve their skills, senior developers looking to expand their horizons, designers of all skill-sets, and serious entrepreneurs that can add value to teams. Bring your idea and let’s go!
Are there travel stipends?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide travel stipends for our global series.
How is the hackathon judged?
Let’s be honest, y’all can do better than Powerpoints. Which is why we rock with live DEMOS only! No exceptions. To win an AngelHack hackathon, you will have to demo your product for at least 30 seconds, but don’t worry if your project is still not 100% perfected. Projects will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Impact: How impactful will this solution be for it’s target audience? Is it scalable?
- Creativity: How original is this solution?
- Design: How well designed is this solution, from front end through to UI/UX?
- Execution: How well executed is this solution from start to finish?
Last thing. In this day and age of #selfies and #squad photos, it’s likely that photos and/or video will be taken at the event. By entering the venue, you’re giving us the OK to snap photos and post to social media.
We’re excited to see you there!
- The AngelHack Team
Annamalai Kuppusamy Shreyes Kumar
SP, Udupi District MBA, IIM Entrepreneur and Project Director
Lucknow Mechanical engineering at SDM group MBA, UC Berkley,
from Anna University Berkley, California