Actions and Detail Panel
Anatomy of a Premise Line: 3-Week Crash Course Online Event
Mon, Apr 24, 2017, 12:01 AM – Fri, May 12, 2017, 11:59 PM PDT
Anatomy of a Premise Line: 3 Week Crash Course Online Event
If a story is going to fail, it will first do so at the premise level. Knowing how to create, design, and validate a story-premise idea are essential skills every writer needs in their toolbox: screenwriter, novelist, or creative nonfiction writer. The premise line is the only reliable tool that can tell you, before you start writing, whether or not your story will “work.” It is your canary in the coal mine, and when fully mastered can save you time, money and months of potentially wasted writing. In this pilot class, participants will learn how to master the process of premise line development—the essential first step in any book, screenplay, or creative nonfiction development process.
Participants in the "hot seat" tier will leave the class with a clearly developed premise line for your project so you can put it into action and start writing.
All that students need to prepare for this class is to have an idea that sparks their passion and imagination. It doesn’t matter how much, or little, actual writing has been done on the idea.
WHAT YOU GET:
- 24/7 Online Classroom access — The learning environment is a forum-discussion-based learning system (Canvas) with a robust and easy to use interface. Students have 24/7 acess to all discussions, assignemnts, lectures and class materials.
- Video/Chat Sessions Twice Weekly —Each Monday and Friday the instructor will hold live video/chat sessions with all hot-seat participants to do one-on-one work and review issues, premise lines, and answer questions (Tier 2 tickets can participate in all of these sessions). Everybody gets one-on-one time with the instructor. All sessions will be recorded.
- Online Feedback — The instructor will montitor all students discussions, assigned work, and online questions and respond daily to all student's input. Feedback is constant and timely.
- Email Support — All students can privately email the instructor for additional support as needed. Tier 2 students do not get instructor email feedback.
- Class Materials — All students (both tiers) will recieve worksheets, forms, and other class materials to facilitate assignment completion. Anatomy of a Premise Line: How to Master Premise and Story Development for Writing Success is a strongly suggested text for the course.
- Tier 1: "Hot Seat": You get: Full Access 24/7 to online class space, all tools, worksheets, forms, instructor feedback in all class forum discussions, instructor feedback on assigned work, 2 weekly video/chat sessions with one-on-one instructor participation, full email support and additional feedback from instructor during the course. Participants in the hot seat tier will leave the class with a clearly developed premise line for your project so you can put it into action and start writing.
- Tier 2: "Observer": You get: Full Access 24/7 to online class space, worksheets, forms, NO INSTRUCTOR FEEDBACK in any class forums, discussions, or by email. This is "fly on the wall" participation, but you get to participate in ALL video/chat session and you can ask questions.
- Tier 3: "PROMO" (PROMOTION CODE REQUIRED): Same access as Tier 1 "Hot Seat" for former students who have taken this workshop online or with me through Stanford University, or for groups I've made arrangements with for special discounts. Once you get the promo code and enter it on the registration page, your group's ticket info will appear. (IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR PROMOCODE, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll send it to you.)
- No Refunds: Any requests for refunds will be honored by credit only toward other classes or services.
A SPECIAL NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Timezones can be a problem, so know that all one-on-one sessions are recorded, so you won't miss anything. Also, I will arrange private video sessions for you based on your timezone if you sign up for Tier 1 participation. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MISS ANYTHING.
LEGAL AND CONFIDENTIALITY
By purchasing a ticket you are agreeing to the Non-Disclosure Agreement that will accompany your registration and payment. You also will be agreeing to allow your image to be recorded during the video/chat sessions, which will be only acessible to paid participants and not the general public. Recordings will not be downloadable, but can be streamed by paid particiants for up to one month after class end. If you do not want your image or voice to be recorded or can turn off your camera and mic during the video recording.