This is a hands-on workshop designed for anyone possessing basic programming skills and looking for how to apply those skills to the analytical practice of scoring and benchmarking. This course covers the fundamental of knowledge discovery in data (KDD). IBM Watson Analytics is a powerful tool for KDD but it has a steep learning curve. In this workshop, students will be exposed to two real-world data sets generated from the Academic and Healthcare sectors. Using IBM Watson Analytics, students will learn to discover the answer to research questions with data visualizations. After this course, students will be comfortable using IBM Watson Analytics and other KDD tools to solve problems.
This workshop consists of a lecture and a lab. The focus is on mastering the what, why and how of KDD. The lecutre will provide the what and why, the lab will provide the how.
Lecture: Methods and Technologies Enabling KDD
- Introduction to analytics and business intelligence
- Insight creation capability
- Descriptive analytics: Percentages, ratios, and probablity
- Knowledge discovery in data: Case study approach to understanding KDD
- Data Understanding: Learn about the two sample data sets.
Lab: Applications of KDD
- Business Understanding: Using sample data sets and business senarios, develop a plan for KDD activities
- IBM Watson Analytics: Use IBM Watson Analytics to answer critical questions
- Knowledge validation: Build the case for new knowledge discovered
- Processing Mining: Mine processes from event data using open source tooling
- You will need to bring your own computer
This event will take place in a private office located in River North. RSVP for details.