An Introduction to FDA's Regulation of Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drug Products
Friday, January 31, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM (PST)
This webinar will provide an introduction to the FDA’s regulation of Over-the-Counter (OTC) drug products and the various methods for bringing such a product to market. You will learn the various options for marketing an OTC drug, gain an understanding of FDA’s relevant labeling and promotional rules, and learn strategies for mitigating the potential risk for FDA regulatory enforcement.
Why Should You Attend:
All OTC drugs are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (“FDA”) and can enter the market in one of the following ways: (a) by complying with an applicable monograph; (b) as the subject of an FDA approved New Drug Application; or (c) via an FDA approved Rx-to-OTC Switch.
Most of the OTC drugs available today are marketed and sold as OTC monograph drug products. Although still a very, very small percentage of the total number of OTC drug products on the market, the Rx-to-OTC Switch regulatory pathway is becoming increasingly popular for placing OTC drugs on the shelves as companies look for ways to extend the life cycle of their branded prescription products.
This webinar will provide beginners with an introduction to FDA’s regulation of OTC drug products. Some of the topics to be covered in this webinar include:
- Whether a drug product can be marketed and sold as an OTC
- The various pathways for bringing an OTC drug to market
- The OTC Monograph process and the products currently covered by monographs
- Switching an Rx drug product to an OTC
- Rules for labeling and marketing an OTC drug product, and
- Strategies for mitigating potential FDA regulatory risks based on recent Agency enforcement action.
- Gain a basic understanding of FDA's regulation of OTC Drug Products.
- Learn to distinguish between the various regulatory pathways for bringing an OTC drug to market.
- Understand how to use an OTC monograph and the various categories of drugs covered by them.
- Have a working knowledge of the Rx-to-OTC Switch option for bringing an OTC drug to market.
- Be able to identify the primary required elements of an OTC drug label.
- Recognize potential marketing and promotional risks.
Areas Covered in the Seminar:
- FDA's regulation of over-the-counter drug products or OTC drugs.
- Bringing an OTC drug to market under an OTC monograph.
- Where to find FDA's list of existing monographs and identification of the various product categories covered by monographs.
- An introduction to FDA's Rx-to-OTC Switch procedures and the benefits / challenges of pursuing such an option.
- Labeling an OTC drug product.
- Potential FDA enforcement risks.
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.