An Afternoon with Mr. Dickens
Sunday, November 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM (CST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
This exclusive theatrical event will feature Gerald Charles Dickens, the great, great grandson of Charles Dickens, in his celebrated performances of Mr. Dickens is Coming! and A Christmas Carol.
Join us in welcoming Gerald to Chicago, and, as part of the celebration, enjoy a selection of complementary wines, mulled English cider, soft drinks and tea, along with a British-best afternoon snack plate.
This unique theatrical experience, which features all the drama, pathos and fun of the master story teller will be brought to life on stage at the historical Stan Mansion. This is intimate theater with limited seating capacity, so, to avoid disappointment, book soon!
Mr. Dickens is Coming!
2:00pm – 2:45pm
Mr. Dickens is Coming! is a light-hearted and varied look at the life and character of Charles Dickens. Gerald uses scenes from the great author’s works, diary extracts and observations from those who knew and worked with him. With its fresh and modern perspective, Mr. Dickens is Coming! is a huge internationally acclaimed hit.
Intermission: Time to relax, enjoy a drink and our British-best afternoon snack plate, or to shop for collectibles and delectables!
A Christmas Carol
3:45pm – 5:15pm
Gerald’s performance of A Christmas Carol has received standing ovations all over the world. Using his own adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic Christmas tale, Gerald plays over 30 characters using his vocal and physical talents to bring each scene vividly to life. As The Boston Globe reviewer wrote, “A Dickens of a performance”.
5:15pm – 6:15pm
Mr. Dickens will be available to sign a special selection of books, gifts and memorabilia, and for a limited number of photographs with patrons at the event.
Collectables and Delectables
For a perfect addition to your magical afternoon with Mr. Dickens, enjoy the following event features:
• The Spencer's Jolly Posh 'tuck shop' for irresistible British-best goodies.
• A unique Byers' Choice experience, where you may begin an heirloom collection for your hearth and home, including exquisite Dickensian figurines such as the ever-popular Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim. Be among the first to purchase one of a limited number of Cousin Fred figurines, exclusive to the event.
• British-best retailers. Start your Christmas shopping for a selection of trademark favourites at the event.
• Offerings of luxurious packages of fine dining and accommodations at the event's hotel partner, The Langham Chicago, which can trace its traditions and services back to Dickens' London.
• Plus, treasured Dickens' books and prints for signing.
An Afternoon with Mr. Dickens will take place at the historic Stan Mansion, a stylish, one-of-a kind venue where patrons will enjoy An Afternoon with Mr. Dickens. Its grand façade and elegant interiors reflect the design by Moritz F. Stranch. Built in 1921 and completely restored in 2012, it is located in the historic Logan Square area, recognized as one of the oldest neighborhoods in Chicago. As Stan Mansion is an historic building, patrons may wish to note that it does not have wheelchair access. www.stanmansion.com
Event partner, the Langham Hotel Chicago, is offering a special rate for event patrons, which includes a $50 daily food and beverage credit.
Click here for more information.
Valet parking is available on a first come, first served basis.
For more information, visit our website www.britishtasteevents.com.