San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
From January – March 2014, the U.S. Department of Energy is holding an “Apps for Energy II” contest that will award over $70,000 in cash prizes for the best web and mobile apps that use Department of Energy APIs, standards and tools to solve some of America’s most important energy challenges. Read more about the challenge at http://energychallenge.energy.gov
To kick off the contest, we’re holding a hackathon where developers, designers and energy professionals can meet up, brainstorm ideas, form teams and start working on apps to submit to the Contest. We will have representatives from the Department of Energy and other mentors on hand to help you get started, and we will be awarding prizes for the “best demos” at the end of the hackathon.
Teams that form up at the hackathon will be encouraged to submit their finished apps to the Contest by March 9, 2014 to be eligible for the Contest’s cash prizes of up to $100,000.
- 6:00PM - Welcome!
- 7:00PM - Lightning talks
- 8:00PM - Team formation. Pick an idea, discuss how to build an app and what features you will include, form teams or just start hacking
- 12AM - End of the night. Go home, get some rest and come back the next day refreshed!
- 10:00AM - The fun continues with the final day of the hackathon. Continue to work with your team to finish coding, designing and polishing your app. Mentors will be available throughout the final hours to help you with API questions, advice and other expertise. App submissions for door prize judging will be accepted throughout the day with a deadline of 6PM.
- 5:00PM – Submission deadline and Demos! Each team gets three minutes to show what they built.
- 6:15PM – Voting and Prizes
- 7:00PM – Event Ends, but the teams can keep working on their apps to prepare for the final submission to the Contest by March 9, 2014.
When & Where
Reinventing our lives as citizens by connecting the hottest startups in the world with the assets of the most powerful city on Earth.