During President Obama’s two terms the Democrats had major losses in the House, Senate, governorships, and state legislators. The 2016 primary campaign revealed deep divisions in the party, and election losses were unexpectedly high. So how do the Democrats regroup? What can the party do to make headway in Congress and on the state level? Who’s on the bench to lead the Democrats in 2020? On the heels of the election of a new Chair of the Democratic Party, we’ll look at these questions and more as the Democrats develop a strategy to regain seats across the country.
Join the Institute of Politics as it welcomes Mayor Pete Buttigieg, South Bend, IN; Mayor Kasim Reed, Atlanta, GA; Honorable Patrick J. Murphy, former Undersecretary of the Army and former U.S. Congressman; and Symone Sanders, former National Press Secretary for Bernie Sanders and Strategist for Priorities USA.
This event is part of “America in the Trump Era,” the IOP’s look at the changes - cultural, policy, media and otherwise - coming under a Trump administration.
- This event is free and open to UChicago students, faculty, staff and the public. If you cannot attend, please cancel your ticket order on Eventbrite so others may register.
- Registration is required.
- Doors will open 30 minutes before the event begins. Any unclaimed seats will be released 10 minutes before the event begins. Please arrive early to claim your seat. If you can no longer attend, please cancel your ticket order on Eventbrite so others may register.
- This venue is physically accessible and has gender-neutral restrooms. Please contact the Institute of Politics at email@example.com or 773-834-4671 for any questions or accommodation requests.
- To add this event to your calendar, see the "When & Where" box at the upper right, click "Add to my calendar," and choose among the options (Outlook, Google, iCal, Yahoo).