Actions and Detail Panel
Align your Investments with your Values!
Fri, March 31, 2017, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM EDT
Marco Vangelisti worked in finance for 25 years and for the last 6 in the investment management industry. He is a founding member of Slow Money and in the leadership team of the Slow Money Northern California network. He is a founding member of the National Coalition for Community Capital. Marco is a 100% impact investor and shares his experience doing direct Slow Money investments with communities around the country to help them increase their capacity for local investing through workshops and lectures. Marco developed Essential Knowledge for Transition – a curriculum for engaged citizens to understand the money and banking system, the economic system and the financial system and how we need to transform them. He speaks nationally as guest lecturer and author, and we are thrilled to be bringing him to North Carolina!
Global finance is an opaque landscape for individual investors. All too often, our investments can end up tied to socially and environmentally harmful industries, without our knowledge.
How can we empower ourselves to act in this sphere, and direct our money toward profitable, progressive businesses?
If you long to operate with integrity in all parts of your life but feel underequipped or bewildered by the idea of aligning your investments with your values, this workshop is a chance to learn essential portfolio management skills and link your financial resources with local resilience.
In this safe, supportive and constructive workshop you will:
- Learn about the problems with global finance from an ex-insider
- Clarify your own values and build your personal investment compass
- Learn basic concepts of portfolio management and the tools to assess your liquidity and risk profile
- Learn to include non-financial considerations when evaluating investments
- Determine the prudent allocation of your portfolio to direct, impact or local investments
- Learn how to assess the risk and the alignment with your values of an investment opportunity
- Connect with a group of like-minded individuals interested in building a better world through their investments
9:00 – 9:30 Check-in, coffee and light breakfast
9:30 – 10:00 Introductions, Overview of workshop, learning objectives
10:00 – 10:40 Talk: The problem with global finance and business-as-usual investing
- My personal journey from conventional finance to regenerative finance
- Narrow lens of finance (risk/return/liquidity)
- The origin of investment capital and the bubble economy
- The carbon math and stranded carbon assets
- Investing and ecological limits
10:40 – 11:00 Discussion and Activity: From the global to the personal
- Clarify personal values: What problems would you rather NOT contribute to? What positive impacts would you like your investments to create?
- What non-financial returns are important to me?
- Create your Personal Investment Compass
11:10 – 11:50 Talk and Discussion: Towards a Personally Responsible Solution
11:50 – 12:30 Basic Portfolio Management 101 – Understanding the Terms and Concepts
- Key concepts of portfolio management
- The portfolio perspective – diversification
12:30 – 1:30 Local Farm-to-table Lunch
1:30 – 1:50 Shortcomings of traditional portfolio management
- The chimera of Capital Markets Expectations
- Risk vs. fundamental uncertainty
- Insufficient diversification!
- Role of cash and local investing
1:50 – 2:20 Direct Investing I – Determining prudent allocation
- What is direct investing?
- How much “livable future” insurance do you want to buy?
- A closer look at risk
- Determining prudent “risk budget” for direct investing
2:20 – 2:40 The Bad, the Good and the Amazing: a personal report from six years of direct, local, impact investing
- Financial and non-financial returns
- Financial and non-financial risks
- Lesson learned
2:40 – 2:50 Break
2:50 – 3:20 Direct Investing II – Due Diligence 101
- Professional due diligence
- A personal approach to direct investments – heart, mind, guts
3:20 – 4:00 Practicum: Hands on experience – practice your newly learned skills on actual local investing offerings
4:00 – 4:15 Discussion
4:15 – 5:00 Sharing, connecting, feedback and closing
5:00 - 6:00 After Party!
THANKS SO MUCH TO OUR EVENT SPONSORS!