Age of Context Book Launch Party
Thursday, November 7, 2013 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (PST)
San Carlos, CA
Join Robert Scoble and Shel Israel for the launch of their new book, Age of Context, which is about how sensors, wearable computers, machine learning, social, and location data are changing our world, our privacy, and bringing us highly assistive and personalized products and services.
It's amazing to see how quickly people signed up. Our cup is literally overflowing. Thank you, can't wait!
By the way, this book was made possible by sponsors who paid for Shel's time to write the book for the past year. There's no way I could write it and do my job on the Rackspace Startup Program and Shel wouldn't have been able to give it much time without these companies.
Which brings us to a new point. We looked for sponsors to help us with this launch event. This event will cost several thousand dollars for beer/wine, food, catering, cleanup, and space rental, etc. Shonali Burke handled that part of things for us, and we must say thank you to our terrific sponsors (both book and event):
- Rackspace Hosting not only funded me to work on this book nearly full time but also paid for about 40% of Shel's time, too. Since cloud computing is at the center of everything in this book, this will have a deep impact on Rackspace's business for decades to come.
- EasilyDo is the first context aware pro-active assistant mobile app. It is sort of the GoogleNow of iPhone apps, except it actually lets you do stuff in the app, like track a package or add a contact.
- betaworks is a data-driven media company based in New York that builds and invests in the social web. (I've gotten to know this company pretty in depth and they are doing a lot of interesting things like renewing Digg, purchasing Instapaper and bringing us Bitly.
- Microsoft bing is one of the world’s leading search engines, helping millions of consumers do, not just search.
- Autodesk, the 3D design, engineering and entertainment software company. The tour they gave us was pretty mind-blowing, too.
- MindSmack an interactive agency that designs and develops for mobile, web and TV.
We also had an anonymous donor who sent us a $5,000 check for charity: water. Very impressive when a non-profit's fans step up that way.
Microsoft Bing is one of the world’s leading search engines, helping millions of consumers do, not just search. They also sponsored our book.
- Senzari applies the latest in machine learning and big data technologies to generate real-time semantic graphs that can provide contextual experiences and recommendations across different media types, including music, movies and TV.
- Elastic Path builds ecommerce software that powers the next generation of digital experience. It is the only e-commerce company we know that actually understands the concept of contextual technology.
- Then there's shoto, whose lower-case name converges social and photo. The startup aspires to connect you and your real friends to places, memories and choices automatically by interpreting the context of your relationships.
- Orange Silicon Valley is the Bay Area strategy and research presence for Orange, a global telecom operator headquartered in Paris, serving over 220 million customers around the world.
- Sprinklr is a cloud software platform that enables large businesses to understand customers and build relationships on social networking channels. They like to say they help companies move from just "doing social" to being social, and I think that is really the case..
- OverNear is an event discovery network that automatically discovers events and gatherings that you care about based on where you are and where you plan to be. It lets you follow public profiles, from musicians to food trucks to personalities to keep you current of happenings near you that matter to you.
- PEER is the first digitized face-to-face networking service for professionals. Come make meaningful professional contacts based on skill, experience, location, enhancing LinkedIn relationships with live and recorded video.
- SCOTTeVEST TEC-Technology Enabled Clothing(R) engineer clothing for the mobile and contextual era. They design and sell stylish jackets, vests, shirts and pants with dozens of hidden pockets for gadgets, travel gear and everyday essentials. They have donated 200 amazingly cool vests, which will be given away to lucky attendees. But we added a catch. To be eligible, you need to buy the book.
- Founded by vintner Bill Foley, The Foley Food and Wine Society was created to unite three of life’s biggest passions – Food, wine, and travel. Members of the Society have access to a plethora of wonderful sights, flavors and experiences throughout North America and New Zealand.
- Eastwick is an award-winning PR agency that works with leading tech companies and rising innovators to drive critical business communications that activate key audiences – media, analysts, industry influencers, and the public.
- Startup Happiness is executive coaching for CEOs and founders in venture-backed startups, by certified coaches who are also serial tech entrepreneurs with multiple exits (and failures).
- Cafepress.com is the ultimate source for personalized and customized print-on-demand products. Users can choose from a catalog of over 500 million products that feature favorite movies and TV shows, topical sayings, beautiful designs and photography or choose to place their own unique image on over 600 different products including T-shirts, shower curtains and everything in between.
When & Where
As Startup Liaison for Rackspace, the Open Cloud Computing Company, Scoble travels the world looking for what's happening on the bleeding edge of technology for Rackspace's startup program. He's interviewed thousands of executives and technology innovators and reports what he learns in books ("The Age of Context," a book coauthored with Forbes author Shel Israel, will come out in Q4 of 2013), YouTube, and many social media sites where he's followed by millions of people.