Friday, November 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM - Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM (PST)
Menlo Park, CA
The AEC Hackathon 1.0 will be held on the campus of Facebook in Menlo Park, California November 9-10! Thank you, Facebook for supporting innovation, disruption and intervention for the Architecture, Engineering and Construction Industry! The Friday kick off event venue will be announced November 1, 2013. REGISTRATION ENDS NOVEMBER 5, 2013... THERE WILL BE NO WALK UP REGISTRATIONS AT THE DOOR.nd to identify, discover and implement today’s hottest technologies into one of the world’s largest industries… the physical, built environment.
Joining Silicon Valley’s best technologists with the industry’s best designers and builders who design and build where we work, live and play...
November 8-10, 2013
San Francisco, California
When & Where
Paul Doherty, the digit group, inc. and Damon Hernandez, IDEAbuilder
the digit group and IDEAbuilder have again joined forces to produce the second AEC Hackathon. Supported by AEC Industry leaders and Silicon Valley IT talent, this second AEC Hackathon promises to be another exciting and worthwhile event.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday Location for the AEC Hackathon
Facebook HQ Campus, 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA (Building 15, Room “Son of Ping and Pong").
AEC Hackathon Announcement: Friday, Nov 8 Kickoff to be held at Facebook in Menlo Park 6-9pm.
Some AEC Hackathon FAQ's:
1. We have teams of Tech professionals (Software developers, UX/UI, etc.) that can either have AEC professionals as part of the team, or use the AEC professionals as “mentors” to AEC processes. The AEC folks are painting the targets of innovative solutions, the tech teams build the solution.
2. We are hosting concurrent workshops during the Saturday portion of the event, one track will be “How To” style Technology Workshops. Things like standards, API’s, 3D Printing, etc. The other track is on AEC topics like Big Data for AEC, Smart Buildings, Smart Cities, BIM Lifecycle, etc. These workshops are meant to assist the Tech teams with process knowledge as well as provide AEC folks some great educational information.
3. The event is for both AEC professionals (designers, etc.) and Tech professionals (software, etc.). Its an open forum to develop open source solutions that “Hack” the AEC Industry to make things better.
4. The level of expertise on the Technology side of things will have a range. We have some of the most respected technology experts in the world in attendance mingling with people that don’t code at all. It’s that mixture that we expect to discover some amazing solutions.
5. The expectation of the Hack is to deliver a working prototype in 5 categories:
c. Content/Data Pipeline
e. Smart Buildings/Smart Cities
6. Some of the solutions we expect to be aspirational, like a genius-style hack… while other solutions we expect to be more pragmatic, like using cnc machines to drive a digital fabrication solution.
7. The goal/outcome of this first AEC Hackathon is to create a community. The winning solutions will be hosted for free online and the AEC Hackathon community will maintain and grow the open source solutions. We have already booked the AEC Hackathon 2.0 for March 2014 to continue the growth of this innovative community, where we are partnering with McGraw-Hill.
8. We will have WiFi and power available at Facebook. Definitely bring your laptop. We will be providing a Google Drive folder with some datasets, Revit models, etc. for the teams to use… we should have that folder ready within the next 24 hours and will notify all registrants via email. We are starting to see teams form on the AEC Hackathon Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/aechackathon/), but we expect that most teams will form during the Friday night kickoff.
9. Access to hardware like 3D printers, Google Glass, Leap Motion, Oculus Rift, etc. will also be available at Facebook as potential components of the teams solutions.
10. We are advising all attendees to bring whatever digital tools they feel they need to develop their solution. Having all software licenses up to date is always a good idea. We are not promoting any one software over another, but if you wish to use Revit as part of your innovation, then by all means have a licensed copy of Revit ready to go. Some of the innovations that we are hearing about being developed at this Hackathon do not use BIM at all… so we are expecting solutions that are not just hacking the AEC processes, but hacking BIM as well. It will be interesting!
Expect this to be a fun event… lots of innovation, smart people and a sense of community… true hackathon pirates!
The AEC Hackathon 1.0 will be held on the campus of Facebook in Menlo Park, California November 9-10! Thank you, Facebook for supporting innovation, disruption and intervention for the Architecture, Engineering and Construction Industry! The Friday kick off event venue will be announced November 1, 2013. REGISTRATION ENDS NOVEMBER 6, 2013... THERE WILL BE NO WALK UP REGISTRATIOINS AT THE DOOR.n
AEC Hackathon News:
- Proud to announce that students of EAST Initiative (www.eastinitiative.org) will design the Hackathon Trophy, which will be 3D Printed at the event!
- 3D Printers onsite for your use during the Hackathon and the 3D Printed trophys are courtesy from 3D Systems / Cubify.
- Announcements coming next week on the AEC Hackathon locations, event categories, data sets and other technology sources and a list of the speakers and workshops that will be held during the event.
Thank you for registering for this innovative, fun and important event... See you in a little over 3 weeks!
AEC HACKATHON 1.0 AGENDA
Friday, 8 November :: San Francisco
7:15pm Why an AEC Hackathon? Creative Brief - 30 second briefs
8:00pm Team Formations - file formats, API’s, Web 3D, SF GIS Data
8:45pm Team Introductions/Goals for the Weekend
Saturday, 9 November :: Silicon Valley
8:00am Team Check In/Breakfast
8:30am Morning Welcome/Hackathon Brief/Snacks and Beverages provided through the Hackathon
9:00am Hackathon Kickoff - Team Brainstorming/Sketch/Design/Code
(API and Tech Workshops throughout the day until 5:00pm)
1:00pm Working Lunch
7:00pm Working Dinner
HACK THROUGH THE NIGHT #HACKSTRONG
Sunday, 10 November :: Silicon Valey
8:00am Working Breakfast
12:00pm Hackathon Coding Concludes/upload to Google Drive/Lunch
12:30pm Hackathon Presentations Begin
3:30pm Judging Concludes/Final Awards and Recognitions
(The final awards may be held earlier or later depending on duration of hack presentations)
~4:00pm Closing Remarks/Adjourn/AfterHack Party