Age Group: 13-15yr Sharks
If tickets are sold out please click the link here and complete the form. We will call/email you when a spot becomes available. You will have 24 hours to respond; otherwise we will move to the next person on the waitlist.
WHAT (Overnight Camp)
The overnight camp experience (June 7-9, 2017): Campers will get a more in-depth experience into the research and stewardship activities that occur at the Reserve such as monitoring habitats for biodiversity using seine nets and remote operated vehicles, as well as participating in a night walk on our beaches to survey sea turtle nests. There will also be many additional field components, including boat excursions to our research sites within the estuary.
Logistics: The Overnight Camp experience will take place at the Environmental Education Center and utilize the classrooms as dorms (note: males and females will be in separate classrooms, along with chaperones). The Education Center has a shower (if needed) and restrooms. Students will need to bring: toiletries, towel, sleeping bag, pillow (with pillowcase), three sets of clothes, extra set of shoes (including flip-flops for the shower-room), hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and insect repellent. The GTM Research Reserve will provide a water bottle, a continuous supply of water, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
ADDITIONAL COMMON QUESTIONS
- Due to the structure of activities and based on experience we try to stick to the age requirements. However, we'll permit campers that are posed to turn the minimum age within ONE MONTH after the camp start date. Meaning if you'd like your 6 year old to attend the 7-9yr camp then we'll allow it if they turn 7 within one month after the camp start date.
- We will provide breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks throughout the day. The morning will consist of a healthy snack (fruit/nuts/grains) and the afternoon will usually consist of a popsicle (to help cool down).
- Campers must bring: insect repellent (strongly encouraged), sunscreen (strongly encouraged), towel, change of clothes, close-toed shoes (no flip flops), sunglasses, hat
- Your camper(s) will only be allowed to go home with people you have indicated on a list that will be sent around (via email) closer to the start of camp.
- We usually work on the agenda up until the week before because there's lots of cool activities. We will send that around to registrants closer to the start of camp. Usually (because of the heat) we'll be inside in the morning, conducting experiments or working on projects and then outside in the afternoon (the breeze usually picks up by this time).
REFUND POLICY: There are no full refunds. A 50% refund will be issued if you cancel four weeks prior to the start date the summer camp. No refunds will be issued after this deadline.