The Advanced CISM Training agenda has been designed to provide participants with the latest information on critical incident stress management techniques and post-trauma syndromes. The program emphasizes a broadening of the knowledge base concerning critical incident stress interventions as well as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that was established in the Basic program and/or publications. Specifically, the program addresses advanced concepts that are the foundation of Defusings and Critical Incident Stress Debriefings (CISD) with an emphasis on advanced techniques for complex crisis situations In addition, this course discusses the pathological consequences of traumatic stress and the theoretical basis and research evidence regarding CISM.
Advanced CISM Training will be of interest to personnel from the aviation, transportation, industrial, commercial, EAP, human resources, public safety, military, government and institutional environment, as well as mental health professionals, chaplains, emergency services personnel, physicians, nurses, and disaster workers who are already trained in the Critical Incident Stress Management format. It will also be useful for those who are working extensively with traumatized victims from various walks of life.
Note: The course does not provide Basic CISM instruction. Completion of a Basic CISM course is a pre-requisite for attendance.
- Traumatic Stress / Stress Management
- Nature of Post-Traumatic Syndromes and PTSD
- Signs and Symptoms of PTSD / Responding to PTSD in Others / Referral
- Rationale for CISM / Why CISD Works / Role in Prevention of PTSD
- CISD vs. Psychotherapy
- Current Thinking on CISM
- Best Practices / Lessons Learned from CISM
- Difficult Debriefings: Line of Duty Death / Symbolic / Multiple Incident / Disasters
- Preserving CISM Team Members
- Comprehensive CISM Approach
**Basic CISM is a pre-requisite for this training.**