Actions and Detail Panel
Adult Male Survivors: Understanding the Issues
Thu, 1 June 2017, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM PDT
This 1-day program is designed for a variety of helping professionals. It is aimed at those who do not specialize in working with adult male survivors but who may encounter adult males with sexual abuse in their backgrounds. The 1-day format will provide participants with an understanding of the special issues of males who were sexually abused as children or sexually assaulted as adults. It will equip them to provide initial support that is informed, empowering and sensitive as well as to make referrals as appropriate.
The program will combine lecture, small group discussion and structured exercises. Participants will be encouraged to examine their own values, attitudes and experiences especially in terms of how these might impact their responses to male survivors.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This workshop will be of interest to family support workers, crisis workers, social workers, therapists, educators, counsellors, mental health workers and corrections personnel.
TIME AND DATE
8:30am – 4:30pm (Thursday, June 1st)
Location: James Bay New Horizons
234 Menzies Street, Victoria BC
• Understand the sexual abuse of males within the context of male socialization;
• Examine the current status of the laws pertaining to the sexual abuse of males;
• Analyze social myths and assumptions about the sexual abuse of males;
• Understand the basic dynamics of childhood sexual abuse and how these dynamics differ for males and females.
• Examine the impact of childhood sexual abuse on adult male development;
• Examine the relationship between sexual abuse and addiction;
• Explore the effects of sexual abuse on male sexuality and intimacy;
• Understand and know how to respond to the immediate emotional needs of male survivors who disclose their abuse in the course of receiving help for other kinds of issues.
MEALS AND BREAKS
Light refreshments will be served during breaks and are included in the workshop fee; however, please provide your own lunch.