Addressing Poor Performance
Skill Practice Course
Comparable course is Managing Performance Problems.
- Target Audience: Team leaders through mid-level leaders.
- Course Length: Three hours, 30 minutes
- Prerequisites: Communicating for Leadership Success
- Course Prep: Yes. Fifteen minutes.
A single employee with chronic performance problems can dominate a leader's time and drag down the productivity and morale of an entire work group.
This course builds leaders’ skills in handling chronic performance problems. They learn how to document and present a solid case for needed improvement and use effective interaction skills. Leaders identify the steps to take after the performance problem discussion to provide ongoing feedback and support, and determine if it is necessary to impose formal consequences.
Do You Face Any of These Issues?
- Are your leaders ill-prepared to conduct performance problem discussions?
- Do they fail to gather and document the specific and accurate performance data they need?
- Can your leaders defuse strong emotions when discussing performance problems?
- Do employees understand why their performance doesn’t meet expectations and what will happen if they don’t improve?
- Effectively address poor performance in a firm, fair, and consistent manner.
- Minimize the impact of chronic performance problems on people, productivity, and profitability.
- Provide problem performers with a clear understanding of what they must do to improve and the consequences of failing to do so.
- Encourage people to take ownership of, and be accountable for, improving their work performance.
Primary Competencies Developed
- Gaining Commitment
Secondary Competency Developed
Date and Time
2E Room 108