FED 202: MCLE 6.0 credit hours (1.0 Ethics)
We are approved and accredited in South Carolina.
“A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” The Second Amendment, seemingly short and to- the-point, is one of the most highly debated portions of the Constitution in modern times. With rising numbers of mass shootings in both the U.S. and abroad, a consideration of the original goals and of the Supreme Court interpretations of this iconic American law are necessary to fully participate in this national debate, which has likewise increased gun related litigation and federal statutory control.
With this program, participants will:
- Consider when and why the Second Amendment was written, modified and ultimately included in the Bill of Rights,
- Review the most significant and foundational Supreme Court cases relating to the Second Amendment, from the 19thcentury forward,
- Learn to navigate the intricate web of federal statutes and regulations that impact firearms in the United States,
- Understand changing interpretations of the Second Amendment, and
- Evaluate the modern-day applicability of the Second Amendment.
*speaker and venue subject to change
Date and Time
Embassy Suites Charleston Airport Hotel & Convention Center
5055 International Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29418