Actions and Detail Panel
Abuse in Later Life
Fri, April 21, 2017, 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM CDT
The activity has been submitted to the Texas Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. Texas Nurses Association – Approver is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
TCOLE's, CEU's for social work, LMFT's, LPC's, CNEs and CLEs are available upon request.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Every year, approximately 4 million older Americans are victims of physical, psychological and/or other forms of abuse and neglect.
- Older adults who require assistance with daily life activities are at increased risk of being emotional abused or financially exploited.
- Approximately 50% of older adults with dementia are mistreated or abused.
- An estimated 13.5% of older adults have suffered emotional abuse since the age of 60.
- Victims of elder financial abuse lost an estimated $2.9 billion in 2011.
- 76.1% of physical abuse toward older adults is perpetrated by a family member.
This class addresses all of the above issues and more. We take a multi-disciplinary approach to teaching this information. While you learn to recognize and respond to later life abuse you will have an opportunity to collaborate with other local agency personnel: medical professionals, law enforcement, social services, counselors, caregivers and advocates. This collaboration and familiarization with other agencies creates more fluid and effective assistance for those who might encounter abuse in later life.
Cost: $100 includes all materials, snacks, and continuing ed credits.
Time: 8:30am-5:30pm with a 1-hour lunch break.
Trainers: LPCs, LMFTs, APS, Social Workers, Nurses & Law Enforcement Professionals who are certified to teach this material.