The Texas Tribune is pleased to present a half-day symposium on urban public education in Texas. Topics of discussion will include educating the emerging demographic majority, social and emotional learning in public education and strategies for widening the high school-to-college pipeline.
8 a.m. MST Complimentary breakfast
8:30 a.m. Policy and Population: Educating the New Demographic Majority
- Richard Carranza, superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District
- Juan Cabrera, superintendent of the El Paso Independent School District
- Michael Hinojosa, superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District
- Elena Izquierdo, associate professor of bilingual/biliteracy education at the University of Texas at El Paso
- Moderated by Evan Smith, CEO and editor-in-chief of The Texas Tribune
9:45 a.m. My Brother's Keeper: The Focus on Social and Emotional Learning
- Paul Cruz, superintendent of the Austin Independent School District
- Eric Gordon, CEO of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Terry Grier, superintendent of the Houston Independent School District
- Airick West, member of the board of directors for Kansas City Public Schools
- Moderated by Chris Coxon, chief program officer for Educate Texas
11:00 a.m. The Path Forward: Widening the High School-to-College Pipeline
- David Anthony, CEO of Raise Your Hand Texas
- Susan Simpson Hull, superintendent of the Grand Prairie Independent School District
- Daniel King, superintendent of the Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District
- William Serrata, president of the El Paso Community College District
- Moderated by John Fitzpatrick, executive director of Educate Texas
12:00 p.m. Complimentary lunch
12:15 p.m. A Conversation with Mike Morath, Texas Education Commissioner
This event will take place in the Tomás Rivera Conference Center in the Union Building (East 308) at UTEP in El Paso. It is free and open to the public, and includes a light breakfast and lunch. Visitor parking will be available in the Sun Bowl Parking Garage (map). For those joining us for this event on the livestream, please note the first panel will begin at 8:30 a.m. Mountain Time, 9:30 a.m. Central Time.
The Tribune's symposia are modeled on the celebrated Texas Tribune Festival. These one-day, one-topic events bring together experts to present and generate productive conversations on major issues of the day.
This event is presented by Idea Public Schools, Educate Texas and the El Paso Independent School District and supported by UTEP, Comcast, the Texas Association for the Gifted & Talented, the Texas Association of School Administrators, the Texas Association of School Boards, Raise Your Hand Texas, the Hatton W. Sumners Foundation, the Meadows Foundation, the Burdine Johnson Foundation and Southwest Airlines, the official airline of Texas Tribune Events. Tribune events are also supported through contributions from our founding investors and members.
Disclosure: Though donors and corporate sponsors underwrite our events, they play no role in determining the content, panelists or line of questioning.
Have questions about A Symposium on Urban Public Education?
Contact The Texas Tribune