San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Is justice your jam? Great!
Let's not wait to see what happens, let's make it happen.
It's time to come together as a community. Interact with each other in new ways--through story circles and instant Forum Theatre improvisations about injustices you want to change, facilitated by the Just Act Ensemble. Practice becoming the change you want to be.
It's real, raw, and relevant.
In these anxious times, Just Act's People's Jam on Justice will offer a refreshing, participatory “refuel zone” to creatively pause and attend to tension and fractured relations around race, culture, and socio-economic disparities to reweave connections and grow empathy, understanding and action plans.
With special guests:
Karen Smith and Darien Ebo on drums & percussion
Terri Lyons, StoryTeller extraordinarie
Wednesday December 14, 2016
ADMISSION BY DONATION at the door, suggested $25 (with sliding scale available)
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Summit Church is in the heart of West Mt. Airy, free street parking, walking distance from Upsal train station and Lincoln Drive bus stops.
What can I bring into the event?
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Save This Event
When & Where
Just Act is a distinctive hybrid artistic and community engagement organization committed to social justice. Our Ensemble of artist-educators facilitate unique theatre-based programs that activate and nurture meaningful dialogue, reflection, healing and action around complex, often divisive social issues, to cultivate individual and collective strength. Informed by Theatre of the Oppressed and other theatre, art and activist strategies, our work is a creative catalyst for community activism and personal change. In all we undertake, Just Act renews and deepens the capacity of social change seekers and makers to stand up for justice with compassion and renewed courage.
In these times of anxiety and disconnection, Just Act offers refreshing, participatory “refuel zones” to creatively pause and attend to tension and fractured relations around race, culture, and socio-economic disparities to reweave connections and grow empathy, understanding and action plans.
Just Act directs our multi-dimensional expertise into being a resource for artists and cross-sector partners invested in developing concrete plans for social and civic change, in diversity dialogue, and in building authentic civic engagement capacity.
Through a spectrum of aesthetic, activist & educational tools, we:
- Activate creative strategies with groups to collectively imagine & rehearse just actions for change.
- Advance interpersonal and citizenship skills by bringing out participants’ innate creativity.
- Catalyze positive relationships among people in places, and relationships between people and their place.
- Enliven empathy & increase understanding and awareness about human interaction, the roles we play and the impact of choices in combatting injustice.
- Strengthen capacity for civic engagement
Collaboration and relationship-building are central to Just Act. We customize our program designs to meet our partners’ needs while deepening and strengthening our own theatre practices.
What we do through Participatory Theatre Techniques:
- Civic Engagement workshops & residencies for diverse organizations working for change
- Diversity dialogue & social justice activism programs for youth, adults & inter-generational groups
- Forum Theatre & Theatre of the Oppressed Facilitator Trainings (Introductory & Advanced)
- Theatre and story-based Creative Placekeeping & community-driven planning
- Teach you to create your own Forum Theatre Ensemble for community investigation of shared concerns, conflicts & action planning
- Community-responsive Theatre