San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Important: Note the New Time and Date
Speaker 1: Brian J. Adams
We will look back at the most recent financial crisis, how it affected the economy and financial markets, and its potential impact going forward.
Registration: 8:45 - 9:10 am
Schedule: Note: Two Speakers
9:00 am to 10:00 AM, Ron Jones (Coffee Break at 10 AM)
10:20 AM to 12:00 noon, Brian Adams
In Advance (by 11/14/2013) Everyone, $15/person(sorry no refunds).
At the Door (space permitting), Everyone, $20/person (sorry no refunds).
DVDs are available. Please contact Janice Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org to place order.
ATTEND THIS MEETING TO LEARN:
1. The difference between monetary and fiscal policies and how they are used to stimulate an economy.
2. About asset bubbles and how the housing bubble affected the economy and the markets in 2008.
3. The banking industry’s role in the 2008 crisis and changes since then.
4. The state of the US residential mortgage market and the US Economy
· R REASONS TO ATTEND:
1. Learn the key details of the 2008 financial crisis and be able to spot signs of another crisis.
2. Find out what the Federal Reserve’s ‘Quantitative Easing’ (“QE") is, what it really represents, and the risks it introduces to the system.
3. To hear about the impacts to the US economy and residential mortgage market–will it ever be the same?
PRESENTED BY: Brian J. Adams, Ph.D,
Associate Professor of Finance at the University of Portland's Pamplin School of Business
Brian Adams earned his Bachelor's degree from the University of Oregon, his M.B.A. from the University of Portland, and his Ph.D. from Arizona State University. His career goals are to produce relevant academic research and provide students with the resources to succeed. His research is in the area of financial markets and the role of financial institutions in improving market efficiency. To date, he has published in five academic finance journals in the topics of international finance, security regulation and analyst coverage.
Speaker 2: Ron Jones
Status of the Federal Tax Law
Ron will discuss what the US Congress has approved for 2013 tax laws, and what may be coming for 2014. His discussion will help attendees in preparing for end of year tax planning and actions you may wish to consider before 2013 ends and it is too late.
ATTEND THIS MEETING TO LEARN:
1. What deductions remain in the law for 2013, and which have expired
2. What tax law changes are new for 2014, and what is still pending
3. Learn what you need to do, or avoid doing, before 2013 ends
REASONS TO ATTEND:
1. Hopefully identify changes that will lower your 2013 tax bill
2. Become better educated on Federal Tax rules
3. Time is running out, so now is the time to act
PRESENTED BY: Ron Jones, Certified Public Accountant
Ron is retired CPA and Certified Management Accountant, having practiced in CA and OR. He earned his Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from San Jose State, and a Master's degree from Golden Gate University. Ron is also a board member of the AAII Portand Chapter and oversees the Investment Discussion Group.
When & Where
AAII Portland Chapter
American Association of Individual Investors is an independent, non-profit organization offering resources to anyone who wishes to learn about investing. The Portland Metro chapter holds general meetings six times a year (Jan/Mar/May/Jul/Sep/Nov), usually on the second Saturday. We invite speakers from academia and industry to discuss every aspect of investing.
Meetings are open to all -- register in advance here on Eventbrite for 10-15 dollars or purchase entry at the door for 20.