Actions and Detail Panel
A Community Approach to Healthy Children: Developing Brains & Today's Techn...
Wed, May 31, 2017, 8:45 AM – 4:00 PM MDT
The day will be filled with learning about early brain development and the impacts of technology.
Can One Story Change Everything? with Nancy Mannix
- Learn how the basic architecture of the brain is constructed through an ongoing process.
- Discover how environmental experiences, serve and return, and toxic stress has on optimal brain development in early childhood.
The Brain Architecture Game with Arlene Weidner
- Participants will engage in a hands-on tabletop exercise that builds understanding of the powerful role of experiences on early brain development; what promotes it, what derails it, and with what consequences to society.
- Goal is to build a “brain” that is as tall as possible, which represents functionality, and as sturdy as possible, which represents the ability to withstand stress.
Teachnology is Here to Stay with Dr. Kelly Dean Schwartz
- Evidence on the importance of early experiences on the developing child, particularly the positive impact of social areas such as family, community, and peers.
- Learn how technology is both positively and negative impacting early brain development and function (e.g., attention,emotional regulation, social skills).
- Explore resources that will help parents and professionals to change the habits and practices of family and child technology use in the home.