THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
- Polk County Health Department
- Eat Greater Des Moines
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Barilla America
- Kemin Industries
- Legion of Food
- Gusto Pizza
- 818 Design
- Presbytery of Des Moines
- Downtown Kiwanis Club
- Midwest Dairy Council
- Wesley Life
- Aging Resources of Iowa
- Fork in the Road
- Bonnie & Dick Ekse
Registration (9:00 AM)
Welcome (10:00 AM)
Keynote #1 – Hunger (10:30 AM)
Speaker – Simon Geletta, DMU, "Hunger in Central Iowa"
- Data profiles of who is actually hungry here?
- Direct assistance vs. tackling root causes?
- Nutrition, obesity vs. hunger?
Keynote #2 – Local Food (11:00 AM)
Speaker – Jason Grimm, Iowa Valley RC&D, "Urban Food Systems Design"
- What is urban food systems design?
- How can innovation in local food bridge the gap on hunger issues?
- What is possible? Successful examples in Iowa?
Lunch Break (11:30 AM)
Panel #1 – Hunger (1:00 PM)
- Elderly Programs – Wesley Life, Aging Services
- Youth Programs – Food Bank of Iowa, Des Moines Public Schools
- Homeless Programs – Central Iowa Shelter & Services, Joppa Outreach
- Food Recovery Programs – Aubrey Alvarez, Bob Andrlik, Kory Berkness
- Poverty Alleviation – Des Moines Area Religious Council, IMPACT
Workshops #1 (1:30 PM) - Choose One Only From Above!
Break (2:15 PM)
Panel #2 – Local Food (2:30 PM)
- Community/Church Gardens – Faith & Grace Garden,
- School Gardens – Des Moines Public Schools, FoodCorps - Iowa
- Community Kitchens – Wallace House of Iowa, Iowa Valley RC&D
- Beginning Farmers – Practical Farmers of Iowa, Local Specialty Farm
- Skills-Job Training Programs – Central Iowa Shelter & Services, Legion of Food
Workshops #1 (3:00 PM) - Choose One Only From Above!
Break (3:45 PM)
Closing Speaker (4:00 PM)