Actions and Detail Panel
6th Annual #dontneed2 NubAbility All Sport Camp
Thu, Jul 13, 2017, 9:00 AM – Sun, Jul 16, 2017, 12:30 PM CDT
6th ANNUAL #dontneed2 ALL SPORT SUMMER CAMP
We've been getting kids with limb-differences out of the stands, off the bench and into the game now for 6 years! Several of our former campers are now coaches and college athletes. We encourage courage through sport and in life for kids who discover they can compete! We discount our fees to the bare minimum in order to provide the #dontneed2 camp opportunity to as many kids as possible. We are a 501(c)3 Nonprofit, recognized by the IRS since November 2, 2011. We appreciate all donations big and small that get our ALL VOLUNTEER Coaching staff to our camp and provide the BEST in sport instruction anywhere in the country. Our aim is for our campers to eventually be seen as the athlete they are....an Athlete, PERIOD. Our program is life-changing. Just check out our reviews on our Facebook page!
Located in DuQuoin in the center of scenic Southern lllinois, our camp is welcomed and staffed by local volunteers in addition to our international coaching team. You will want to extend your stay to enjoy the beauty of the heartland.
Our Camp begins on Thursday July 13 at 9:00am with Golf, Swimming, Archery, Fishing, Skateboarding and an expo of Wakeboarding and Skiing. Then on Friday, comes the SWEATY part!
Campers choose a focus sport they wish to get the most intense training in during 6 Focus Sport Sessions. They will then have the option of sheduling open sport sessions in 6 other sports they have an interest in. These sessions times are:
- 9:00 am Thursday & Friday for Golf, Archery, Swimming, Skateboarding and Fishing
- 1:00 pm on Friday July 14 until 7:30pm.
- 9:00 am on Saturday July 15 until 7:30pm.
- 10:30 on Sunday until 1:00pm (Optional worship service will be at 9:30am)
We offer expert coaching in the following sports:
Focus & Open Sport Options:
- Track & Field,
- Boys Basketball,
- Girls Basketball,
- Cheer & Tumbling,
- Grappling (Wrestling & BJJ),
- Lacrosse (Brand New this Year!)
- *Skateboarding, (New this year and provided by Adaptive Skate Kollective Organization)
- Strength, Speed, Agility (New to choose as a FOCUS sport this year!)
- **Bully Proof Self-Defense (Open Session Only)
- *Trap & Skeet (Must have firearm/hunter saftey certificate and be 8 years or older to participate)
A NubAbility Coach will call you in JUNE to schedule FOCUS sport Sessions for your camper. You WILL NOT choose them in this registration form. Make sure you follow our Facebook and open your emails so you know when we are going to call.
See how we roll: https://youtu.be/8ZvBLUMaXwg
This event is open to limb-different, congenital and traumatic amputee youth, ages 4-17 and siblings ages 6-17 who want instruction, motivation and mentoring in mainstreamed competitive sports.
- All participants must be independently mobile either with or w/o prosthetics.
- Under the coaching of over 60 accomplished limb-different athletes, campers will choose from 14 focus sports and experience competion ready instruction in trap & skeet shooting, fishing and archery also.
- Campers receive age and skill level appropriate coaching, in fundamental to advanced skills, adaptive technique and scrimmage experience in each sport they participate in.
- Campers are divided by age into the Minors 4-9 and the Majors 10-17.
- Campers will be put into age and skill level groups within each individual sport.
- Athletes in the the 10-17 age group level will get more intense coaching instruction. PLEASE NOTE: Our coaches are all serious athletes and they intend to up the level of play of each of their campers for this age level. This is not a support group camp. The support happens magically, but the instruction is intentional, planned, and professionally executed. If you think we are underqualified to coach your kid, due to their current level of success in sports, you shouldn't discount our program without trying it. If you are concerned that your kid is not capable of handling real coaching and critiquing of their skills in order to improve their game, to not only compete against mainstreamed peers, but to win against them, then we can recommend several other awesom camp expereinces for your child to have a great experience.
- For any questions about our coaches or sport groups, please email Sam@NubAbility.org
- Sibling Sessions have a cap of 70. No Exceptions. PLEASE NOTE: Participating 1. Must have finished the first grade. 2. Be Sport Minded. 3. Take Coaching Instruction well. Separate Session Registrations!
- Non-Participating Siblings must register as such. No age limit. No activities provided. Must be with parents AT ALL TIMES.
- Meal plans for camp are available for purchase and are limited to the first 200 individual tickets sold
- Families granted full camp scholarships will automatically be enrolled in our onsite meal plan.
- Mealtime options off camp property are plenty with several great local restaurants available, discounts are available.
- Off site locations: DuQuoin State Fairgrounds, MorMad Farms and Lodging Shooting Range, DuQuoin Municipal Swimming Pool and Red Hawk Country Club
Camp Launch Party will be on Thursday July 14th at 6pm. DuQuoin State Fairgrounds (beautiful camping location!)
The Focus and Open Sport Sessions of Camp will be held at DuQuoin High School in DuQuoin, IL
Parade of Champions Ceremony will be at 11:30 am in the DHS Gymnasium for ALL campers and coaches. PLEASE do NOT miss this DAY!
Lodging is to be arranged by the camper family and is NOT included in the camp fees. Links to availability & discounted hotels in confirmation letter. Camping and local host lodging is available!
Every camper and family participant will receive a camp t-shirt, commemorative wristbands, 1 drawstring athletic bag and much much more!
Volunteer Information will be released in May and there will be a seperate event link to register if you are interested.
Parent Volunteers are limited to alumni camp parents only, as we want Rookies to enjoy the total experience.
A Parent Team will be available to answer all kinds of questions, trouble shoot issues and mentor each other. This team is led by 6th year camp parents and will be introduced with their team at the camp launch party.
We will communicate primarily by text messaging and email. PLEASE make sure you subscribe to both of those methods once you receive your camp confirmation letter.
A secret Facebook Group called NubAbility Sport Camps is for any family members that are on Facebook. It is a safe way to enjoy the NubAbility Family and the community of amazing limb-different athletes. You must be registered to be added.
For any questions about general camp information please email info@NubAbility.org or message 618) 357-1394 No calls please. We will get back to you ASAP. Promise.
Year 6 is going to be EPIC! WE HOPE YOU'LL JOIN OUR TEAM!
"I will not allow your perception of my limits, limit my detemination to crush your pity and replace it with your respect of my ability to compete!" Coach Sam Kuhnert, Founder of NubAbility Athletics Foundation
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
LIMB-DIFFERENT CAMPER: AGE 4
PARTICIPATING SIBLING: (6-7) Has had to have completed the 1st grade.
What is the beginning time for attendance and the ending time?
Start: 9:00am July 13 campers will either report to: Golf, Skateboarding, Swimming, Fishing or Archery. You will sign up for these events when a coach calls you in June.
End: Closing Ceremony will be 11:30-12:30 on July 16th. PLEASE DON'T MISS THIS DAY! It's the last focus session where coaches give indivdual feed back and then they highlight the camp and award campers with a very special take home gift. A sack lunch will be provided for those on the meal plan for Grab-and-Go after the ceremony. We will not be providing a brunch this year.
You will be given a list of lodging links in your confirmation email. All are within 30 minutes of our event. If you would like to request Local Host Family Lodging at no charge, please email email@example.com and put "lodging" in the subject. Also, if you have a camper, our DuQuoin State Fairgrounds is a popular NubAbility Camp Family option.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Our town has 1 small taxi company and a public transit. You will want to rent a car for transport if you are flying in.
What can I bring into the event?
Please see your confirmation email. Your coach that contacts you in June will also inform you of any specific equipment.
Please bring Fishing Pole if you want it adapted for your child's upper limb-difference.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Do I stay with my child?
If your child is 9 or under, 1 parent/guardian must be in the area at all times. We do not have babysitters. We are a serious sport camp. Injuries happen in sports. Parents must be immediately accessible.
If your child is 10 or older, you are free to leave the campus if you sign out and leave emergency contact information and have an assigned "Safety" to check in on your kid.
Can I update my registration information?
Yes. Simply log in to your account and edit or add to your ticket info.
When do I choos a focus sport for my kid?
A coach will call you in June to advise and place in a focus sport for both limb-different and participating siblings. We are not pre-placing participants this year.
Where can I keep up with new information?
1. Actually READ your emails:)
2. Text the word NubCamp to the phone # 292929 to "opt-in" to our text messaging system. A MUST for camp!
3. Accept the invite to the secret NubAbility Sport Camps Group on Facebook. email us if you haven't gotten one.