Advanced Class. Must have taken a musical theatre course in the past at our studio or another reputable institution
Space Is Limited!
From Hammerstein to Hamilton, learn the vocal styles of Broadway’s most iconic hits through the years. Singers will learn how to adapt their voice to any style of musical theatre performance. The class will cover the 20th and 21st centuries of American musicals from the jazzy standards of the Gershwins and Cole Porter, through the golden age of Rodgers and Hammerstein, all the way to 90’s pop hits like Rent and the hip hop musical Hamilton.
In each class, students will learn about the vocal styles of a specific period of Broadway history, focusing on shows that are often performed today. In the final class, students will perform as a chorus with a few featured solos, showcasing the range of vocal styles learned.
Don’t audition for The Sound of Music with a Hairspray sound! Learn how to bring an appropriate cut to any vocal audition.
Focus of the class:
• The Enduring Standards of the Early 20th Century: Gilbert and Sullivan, Irving Berlin and the Gershwins
• Broadway’s Golden Age of the 1950s-1960s: Kiss Me Kate, Guys and Dolls, and The Sound of Music
• A Changing Sound: Pop Influences of the 1960s-1970s: Bye Bye Birdie, Hair, The Wiz
• The Spectacular 1970s and 1980s: The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, and Sunday in the Park with George
• Disney and Pop Musicals: 1990s – today: Rent, The Little Mermaid, and Hamilton
Final Showcase: On the last day, actors will perform choral selections from each of the Broadway eras they studied for loved ones and a few agents and managers.
When: Sundays, Jan. 22, 29; Feb. 5, 12; March 5, 12** Final Showcase
Time: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Where: Pearl Studios – 500 8th Ave.