Actions and Detail Panel
4earth Lionfish Derby
Sat, April 22, 2017, 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
In celebration of Earth Day 2017, Miami Seaquarium would like to invite you to join us in learning about the invasive lionfish and spreading awareness on the effects it has on South Florida habitats.
On April 22nd, Miami Seaquarium will be hosting a REEF sanctioned lionfish derby and a community picnic from 2pm-6pm.
REEF sanctioned lionfish derbies are a great way to cull the local population of lionfish in South Florida. These fish are native to the South Pacific and Indian oceans. They have no natural predators in the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean, or the Gulf of Mexico, so they are thriving in these areas. Lionfish are able to eat almost anything, which is really taking a toll on our South Florida marine ecosystems, causing native species to lose their food and resources.
Not only is this event for fishermen to take part in, but a day for the whole family to enjoy! Get a taste of lionfish by sampling them cooked in a number of ways, get creative by participating in lionfish jewelry workshops and learn more about what you can do at the local level to fight the lion fish invasion by visiting with our participating organizations!
Information for interested fishermen:
- The cost for fishermen to participate in the derby is FREE. Each group can be 2-4 people.
- Fishermen will get free admission to Miami Seaqaurium on April 22 for themselves and up to two guests.
- Win cash prizes for most lion fish caught, largest lion fish caught and smallest lionfish caught.
- Please see the rules and regulations for this derby HERE.
- Once registered please fill out the Liabiliy Waiver and understanding of risk and bring to Captain's meeting
Information for interested community members:
- Enjoy 50% off admission on all 4 days! Online only. Promo Code: earthday www.miamiseaquarium.com/offers
Information for interested participating organizations:
- Join us for the community picnic and spread your eco-friendly messaging! An area for tabling and booths will be available for participating organization’s outreach and education.
- E-mail email@example.com for any questions regarding participation and keep an eye out for our vendor forms.
What if I do not have my own boat?
Divers paradise in Key Biscayne is putting together a boat for this event. The cost will be $75 per person. Please call to reserve your place with them.
DIvers Paradise: (305) 361 -DIVE (3483)
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Give us a call at (305)361-5705 X526 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
4earth: 4 days, 4 events, 4 earth
Miami Seaquarium is excited to host 4 fun and educational events for Earth Day (April 22). Each event has a focus that will engage the public and teach the community about environmental issues surrounding their local ecosystems. Our 4 day event begins on April 20th and ends on April 23th. Enjoy 50% off admission on all 4 days! Online only. Promo Code: earthday www.miamiseaquarium.com/offers
- April 20th - Biology by the Bay
- April 21st - 4earth Mini Film Festival
- April 22nd - 4earth Lionfish Derby & Community Picnic
- April 23rd - Scientific Beach Clean-up