2nd Annual Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament and Fundraiser
Saturday, August 24, 2013 from 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM (PDT)
Santa Monica, CA
The Short and Sweet:
A non-profit women's doubles "Swingers-Style" beach volleyball tournament.
The More Detailed Version:
The Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament & Fundraiser series is an annual fundraising beach volleyball tournament hosted by local lady volleyballers who want to help support the maintenance of Santa Monica beach volleyball courts. Such maintenance items include repairing broken nets, maintaining the adjustable net clasps and ropes, putting up court signs, etc. Last year's tournament was such a success that this year, 30% of tournament registration proceeds will be donated to the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Monica to promote youth fitness, sports, recreation, and active lifestyles.... everything we volleyballers have grown to love and incorporate into our own lives. Please see the special DONATIONS section at the bottom of this page for information on our sporting goods drive so you can enter into a raffle to win prizes!
Rules, Format and Registration/Goodies:
Costumes are encouraged but not required! Traditionally, this has been a "Ladies Attire" tournament -- that is to say, fishnet stocking, babydolls or other feminine costumes worn over your normal swimwear. Costumes do not need to be worn throughout game play, but it certainly is a lot of fun!
- REGISTER INDIVIDUALLY, NOT AS A TEAM. This is a Swingers-style tournament, and therefore women do NOT have to register as a team. Women will be put into even pools of 8 - 10 ladies per court, and you will play one game with (and against) each gal in your pool. If there are 8 women in one pool, you are therefore guaranteed 7 games of pool play.
- Pools will be randomly assigned, but tournament directors will ensure the playing fields are level and fair. Email Megan at email@example.com should you have any specific requests and we will try to accommodate.
- Rally-scoring, one game to 21, win by 2 points, no cap.
- Based off of total number of wins (or points, in the case of a tie breaker), the top 4 ladies of each pool will pool out, and will progress to play-offs. Depending on the size of the tournament, it may be single or double elimination in the play-offs. TBD.
- 2 gals will be assigned as refs for each game played.
- No open hand serve receives. Call your own sets (but be liberal... have fun!). Open hand digs only if the ball is hard driven. Let (net) serves OK. No blocking serves.
The Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament & Fundraiser has traditionally been an ACES tournament to promote a level of fun and camaraderie amongst the players. As far as ACES is concerned, however, this is a non-drinking tournament. NO ALCOHOL.
Rules of Aces
- When a ball is served during game play, it MUST be touched by the receiving team receiving before hitting the sand. It does not matter if the ball is shanked or doesn't make it over the net; so long as it is touched, the receiving team is "safe".
- If the ball touches the sand before first being touched by a member of the receiving team, the following penalties apply during each full game: a) 1st offense: One team member must spin in a circle 5 times immediately before the other team serves; b) 2nd offense: Both team members must have their hands tied together (in front) for 1 round of play; c) 3rd offense: Neither team member can use any part of their arms for 1 round of play. d) 4th offense: Opposing team gets to suggest a penalty (corn rolls, etc), otherwise repeat the aforementioned penalties in order!
Challenges are small games or tasks for a losing team to do to win points back once they have already lost. If a team has won a game by a margin greater than 5 points (ie, 21-15), the losing team can *ask* to do a challenge to win back 1 or 2 points (bringing the score to 20-15 or 19-15) in order to try to make a comeback and win the game. It is up to each pool whether they want to impart the rules of challenges, and the winning team has the option to decline the challenge request. Challenge examples are wheel barrel races, corn rolls, spank machines, etc. They are merely to promote fun over competition.
PLEASE NOTE: Challenges extend the time of game play. Play-offs will begin promptly at 2:30pm, so if your pool has been delayed by challenges, the remaining games will be capped at 15 points, with the risk of some games needing to be forfeited entirely. If you wish to do challenges, keep them simple and quick!
Registration, Sponsorships and Donations
Individual sign-ups will cost $25 per lady BEFORE AUGUST 1st, 2013, or else $30 thereafter. Registration guarantees you a minimum of 7 games, and will include a goodie bag, professional donated photography services during the event, prizes for the winners, and other goodies depending on what kind of sponsorships we can get. We may also have food provided, depending on a food sponsor. TBD.
We rely on the generosity of local businesses for sponsored donations of prizes, hand-outs, and other items such as water for the tournament. If you are interested in being a sponsor, please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you can get involved and have your products/services promoted!
If you wish to be a court sponsor, the cost is $250 in addition to any products/services you can offer as prizes to our winners. This level of sponsorship includes logos on our banners during game-day, brand promotion and shout-outs on our social networking and social media sites, and recognition throughout the tournament. If sponsors wish to provide temporary tattoos or other "flare", we will pass those out to the girls to wear. Please email Megan at email@example.com if you have any particular requests!
PLEASE READ!! **Donations and Raffles**
On top of the tournament, we will be holding a sporting goods and school supplies drive which will all be donated to the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Monica. Please bring new or used (good condition!) sporting goods (soccer balls, basketballs, volleyballs, etc) or school/art supplies to the registration tent on the day of the tournament, and you will be entered into a raffle to win cash or prizes!
- Remember that this is a FUNDRAISER for a sport and location that is near and dear to our hearts. Let's have fun, but be safe, clean and abide by local laws. This is to benefit our home turf!
- We do have a permit to hold this event at OP, in case you're wondering :)
***NO REFUNDS WILL BE AWARDED AFTER 5pm PT FRIDAY AUGUST 16th 2013***