Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk - The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham)
Sat, September 16, 2017, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM EDT
IMPORTANT NOTES ON 2017 TRIANGLE T2T 5K
1. ONLINE REGISTRATION ENDS AT MIDNIGHT ON WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 13.
2. PACKET PICKUP WILLL BE FROM 4 -7 PM ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, AT FLEET FEET, 6807 FAYETTEVILLE RD#105, DURHAM, OR AT 8 – 8:45 AM AT THE EVENT ON SATURDAY.
3. ACTIVITIES FOR CHILDREN WILL BE AVAILABLE.
4. SCHEDULE FOR SEPT. 16:
8:00 – 9:15 AM ON-SITE REGISTRATION ($5 ADD’L.)
9:15 AM FUN RUN FOR KIDS
9:30 AM OPENING W/COLORS
9:45 AM RUN BEGINS
10:50 AM – CEREMONY W/ LOCAL CHORALE AND SPEAKERS ON 2016 NC HEROES
11:15 – 11:30 AM AWARDS
12 PM AFTER EVENT AT BACKYARD BISTRO, RALEIGH
5. WATER AND SNACKS WILL BE AVAILABLE.
6. AFTER EVENT BANQUET HOSTED BY BACKYARD BISTRO, 1235 HURRICANE ALLEY WAY, RALEIGH, NC WILL FEATURE OUR TWO FAVORITE BANDS, THE WATER BETWEEN AND SIX SHOTS LATER. TO SECURE YOUR TICKETS IN ADVANCE, REGISTER FROM T2T TRIANGLE FB PAGE @ https://www.facebook.com/T2TWF/?ref=bookmarks.
What is a Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk?
The Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk Series was created to honor the heroic life and death of Stephen Siller, a New York City firefighter (FDNY) who lost his life on September 11, 2001, after strapping on his gear and running through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the Twin Towers.
Honor all of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, and support our first responders and military who make extraordinary sacrifices in the line of duty! For more information on the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, please visit www.tunnel2towers.org
How far is a Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk?
The Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk - The Triangle is a 5k (3.1 miles) on the grounds of the Research Triangle Park. You are welcome to walk or run this event.
Can I get a timing chip?
Yes. You'll be able to get one provided you register by 8:45 am on the day of the run.
Can I register the day of the run?
Yes, you may register onsite at an additional $5 charge for registration on race day.
Who is a Hero?
Every first responder--- firefighter, law enforcement officer, EMS/paramedic, and/or past or present member of our US Armed Forces (including National Guard) --- is an important HERO in our community. First responders should register for this discounted rate and be prepared to provide official identification if requested.
Is there transportation to and from the event?
No, we do not provide transportation to and from the event as none is necessary.
Is there parking available?
Yes, there is plenty of parking available on the premises.
Where can I pick up my packet?
You can pick up your bib and t-shirt during packet pick up at Fleet Feet Durham, 6807 Fayetteville Rd#105, Durham, 4-7pm on Friday September 15.
Do I have to wear my bib number?
Yes, please display your bib on the front of your outermost garment if you wish to be timed.
I am a fast runner. Can I get a front line position?
You will begin following the departure of our first responder heroes. You may select a starting position for yourself.
Will water be available?
Yes, a water station is available at the midway point. Participants may also carry water bottles. We ask that you DO NOT discard those bottles along the route.
What can you bring to the event?
Backpacks, diaper bags, etc. are allowed.
Can I run with a stroller, backpack, wheelchair, roller blades, bicycle, etc?
One can run/walk with a stroller, backpack, or wheelchair. Roller blades, bicycles, and dogs (unless service animals) are not allowed on the course.
If I have a backpack, what do I do with it?
While you can wear your backpack during the event, it is your responsibility to secure any/all items at your own risk.
What are the award categories? Tunnel to Towers Triangle will give the following awards: Male Overall, Female Overall, Male/Female 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place for the following age groups: 1-9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40- 49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
What is the First Responder Team Competition? There are two types of team competition: one for firefighters and the second for other first responders.
- 1. For firefighters: The Stephen G. Siller Steel Award: This stately award will display a piece of the Twin Towers steel and can be won by the fire department which has a team of 5 participate by running in turnout gear; the four fastest times of their team members will be combined for the team’s total. The team with the fastest combined time will win the award and will have it to display in their station until the next year's run, at which time the award will be transferred to the next winning team. Win it again, and the team keeps it for another year! Please note: Our equipment policy for participating in the Siller Steel Award is competitors must run in jacket (no liner), pants, helmet, and running shoes. No tank or boots is required.
- 2. For other first responders: The Stephen G. Siller Heroes Award: This award will be won by a team of first responders (law enforcement, EMS/emergency responders, and/or military) with 5 participants running in uniform; the four fastest times of their team members will be combined for the team’s total. The team with the fastest combined time will win the award and have it to display in their station or office until the next year’s run, at which time the award will be transferred to the next winning team. Like the Steel Award, if the same team wins again, the team keeps it for another year!
Can I still donate to a team or individual after the start of the race?
Yes, donations will be accepted for six weeks after the event.
How can my company/organization sponsor this event?
Please send all sponsorship correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information.
What does a corporate sponsor receive?
Based on the level of financial commitment, sponsors receive a wonderful package of promotional opportunities, prominent logo placement, registration passes, and a chance to align your company’s name with a growing and patriotic event in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. Contact us at email@example.com .
I would like to make a donation of services or goods to this run/walk event; how do I do that?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
I’ve paid my registration fee to participate; why would I want to fundraise? It’s no secret: registration fees cover the operational expenses of any run/walk event with the remaining funds (if any) going toward charitable projects. Your fundraising efforts ensure a greater impact for our Foundation’s efforts to do good with projects in communities around the country.
I haven’t fundraised before; how can I do that? When you register, you will be given directions to set up your own fundraising page; from your personalized page, you can solicit donations from friends, family, co-workers, and/or others via email and social media. We can share some fundraising ideas with you and guide you so your efforts are painless, productive and profitable!
As a participant, can I fundraise/encourage others to donate?
Yes! Once you are registered, you will be given directions to start your own fundraising page and you will be able to accept donations online. Do you want to donate cash/money? We can help you with that. Contact us at email@example.com and we can walk you through the process or you can send donations directly to 2361 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10306 - please give us your information so we can add it to your fundraising page. It's easy!
Does my registration fee count towards my fundraising goal?
Registration fees help offset some of the expenses associated with making the Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk one of the country’s greatest annual events; however, your fundraising efforts enable us to continue to make a difference in the lives of so many in need.
To show our appreciation for your time, passion, and effort, we recognize each fundraising milestone that is reached with prizes branded with the Tunnel to Towers logo.
What are the fundraising levels & prizes?
You can help the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation as we honor and support our nation’s first responders and military heroes!
Thank you for joining us in our mission to honor and support our nation’s first responders and military heroes! For more information on our Foundation please visit www.tunnel2towers.org.
Can I get a refund? Can I transfer my registration?
Unfortunately, ALL SALES ARE FINAL and we do not allow refunds. However, you may transfer your registration to another participant. For instructions on how to transfer your registration please click here.
How can I volunteer?
It's simple! Once you’ve confirmed your volunteer role with us @ firstname.lastname@example.org, click on the volunteer option when registering. Thank you!
Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 919-807-2214. This license is not an endorsement by the State.