Join GWTC for the 2017 Swamp Forest Trail Marathon, Half Marathon, and 6.5 Mile Run in Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park. The 4th annnual race covers beautiful rolling terrain along both single-track and multi-use trails. Proceeds from the event benefit the Tallahassee Friends of Our Parks Foundation, Inc.
Registration: Opens Oct. 1 and closes Dec. 15
Early registration: Oct. 1 through October 2
Late registration: Dec. 1 through Dec. 31 (IF AVAILABLE) No shirt guaranteed during late registration.
Event Limit: This event is limited to 150 runners, so sign up early to guarantee your spot!
About the Course: The Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park Trail is comprised of three main loops: the Swamp Forest Loop, the Coon Bottom Loop, and the Oak Hammock Loop, along with several connecting trails. The race combines these loops into one ~6.5 mile loop. The "half marathon" runners will complete two loops of the course and "full marathon" runners will complete four loops.
* The Swamp Forest Loop runs next to a seepage basin swamp and a profusion of ferns, passes ephemeral ponds, and a Beech-Magnolia forest.
* The Coon Bottom Loop runs beside a clear sand-bottom seepage stream in many places, and passes through Beech-Magnolia and Spruce Pine forests. The trail crosses a black-water stream that drains a seepage basin swamp. Along the north side of the loop, the trail passes through an upland forest.
* The Oak Hammock Loop runs near the shore of Lake Jackson. Deer can often be seen along the edges of open fields. The adjacent fields contain many fenced gopher tortoise holes.
* The Creek Forest Trail runs around the head of a seepage stream, curves around an ephemeral pond, then encounters a series of meander loops of the main stream. There are large patches of Giant Cane and Arundinaria gigantea along the trail.
* The Big Tree Cutoff passes a swamp that contains Pinckneya, Needle Palms and a stand of huge Tulip-Poplars.
Course cut-off: The cut-off time for this event is 3:00 PM. This will give runners 7 hours to complete the marathon. If you do not finish your third loop in 5 hours, you will be stopped and awarded the half marathon finish time of your second loop.
Packet Pick-up: TBA.
Additional Information: Jim and Kristin Halley GulfWindsTrails@gmail.com
Check our Facebook event page for updates.