Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Student Success Summit
Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 7:00 AM – Thu, Jul 27, 2017, 2:30 PM EDT
2017 Student Success Summit
Navigating Success: Setting a Course for Student Achievement
A P-20 Collaborative Event
The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the West Virginia Department of Education are pleased to announce that the 2017 Student Success Summit will be held July 26th and 27th at the Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place in Morgantown, WV. The Student Success Summit is a collaborative event focusing on creating seamless and supportive lifelong learning systems for our state's students.
The Summit is appropriate for anyone interested in supporting student development and achievement, including educators, counselors, and administrators from the pre-school, elementary, secondary, and postsecondary education systems; workforce development professionals; community development specialists; business and community leaders; parents; and students!
There is no cost to attend the Summit; however, travel and lodging expenses are the responsibility of the participant. The event is being held at the Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place. When booking a room, please mention that you are with the 2017 Student Success Summit to receive the group rate of $129 per night. To reserve your room, please call 304-296-1700 or 800-630-2594 and ask for the "WV Student Success Block." You must make your reservation before July 6, 2017.
There are many other hotels in the Morgantown area should you be unable to book at the Waterfront. However, please note that individuals are personally responsible for parking costs if they are NOT a guest of the Waterfront.
Continuing education units for school counselors will be offered. Certificates of participation will be available for all attendees who complete an event survey online.
Early registration and conference check in will begin at 4 p.m. on July 25th and continue until 7 p.m.
The conference will begin at 8:30 a.m. on July 26th and continue until 6 p.m. Check-in and breakfast will begin at 7 a.m.
Be sure to take advantage of our newest component to the Student Success Summit, Lunch Table Talks! Do you have follow up questions about a session that you attended? Did you have to miss a session because you were in another session? Not to worry. This year during lunch on both days, our presenters will be available at the lunch tables to hold Table Talk Conversations about their presentations. Grab your lunch, pick a table, and enjoy the conversation.
On July 27th, the sessions will begin at 8:15 a.m. and conclude at 2 p.m. Check-in and breakfast will begin at 7:30 a.m. that morning.
Space is available for up to 500 participants. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. You must register by July 22, 2017 to attend.
Topics for the Summit include the following:
- Adult Basic Education;
- Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance;
- Attracting and Serving Adult Learners;
- Behavior and Mental Health;
- Bullying Prevention;
- Career and Technical Education;
- Career Exploration and Preparation;
- College Access and Awareness Initiatives;
- Community Engagement;
- Early Grades Instruction and Transition;
- Early Warning Indicators;
- Effective Mentoring Models (including peer-to-peer models);
- Exemplary Programs;
- Financial Aid Awareness and Instruction;
- Grant Writing;
- Higher Grades Instruction and Transition;
- IEPS for ALL Students;
- Middle Grades Instruction and Transition;
- Military Partnerships;
- Multiple Pathways to Completing Education;
- Overcoming Social/Emotional Barriers;
- Parent and Family Engagement;
- Partnership Building;
- Postsecondary Instruction and Transition;
- Student Engagement;
- Student Voice;
- System Wide Student Support and/or Inter-System Collaboration;
- Transitions for Students with Disabilities;
- Transitions Bridge Programs;
- Utilizing Data Effectively; and
- Workforce Development.
Information for Exhibitors:
Public and non-profit organizations are invited to exhibit during the 2017 Student Success Summit Gallery Walk to be held July 26th from 4:30 to 6 p.m. at the Waterfront Hotel and Conference Center in Morgantown. The Gallery Walk is the only opportunity for organizations to exhibit during this conference.
- Those wishing to exhibit during the Gallery Walk should register at the link above.
- Exhibitors will be provided with a single 8' display table. Outlets and table linens will not be provided.
- Each exhibit must be staffed during the duration of the Gallery Walk, from 4 to 6 p.m. on July 26.
- Space is limited and will be reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Participation is limited to non-profit and public organizations only.
- There is no fee to exhibit during the Gallery Walk; however, all exhibitors are asked to donate door prizes of up to $25 in value for conference participants (examples include t-shirts, gift cards, mousepads, etc.). Door prizes must be mailed to Heather McChesney (1018 Kanawha Boulevard East, Suite 700 Charleston, WV 25301) no later than July 10th.
- All individuals from a single organization should register as a group.
- Exhibitors who also plan to attend the Student Success Summit as a conference participant should also reserve participant/presenter tickets at the link above.
Gallery Walk Schedule:
July 26, 2017
4:00 to 4:30 p.m. - Setup
4:30 to 6:00 p.m. - Gallery Walk Reception (heavy hors d'oeuvres will be provided)
Event Online Program
To access the online program via the web, please visit: http://guidebook.com/g/2017sss
To access the mobile program via a smart phone or table, please download the app for GUIDEBOOK and search for Student Success Summit 2017.