San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Ranger Club and the ROTC program at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point will be hosting an 8-mile ruck march/walk in order to raise funds in support of the Alex Reeder Memorial Scholarship Endowment.
Alex Reeder was a senior psychology major at UW-Stevens Point where he was also a major part of the ROTC program as a third-year Pointer cadet preparing to serve his country as a leader in the U.S. Army. Alex joined the Pointer Battalion as a four-year scholarship winner and quickly rose to become the captain of the Pointers' Ranger Challenge team. He distinguished himself with outstanding academic and physical achievement but will always be most remembered for his friendship and selfless desire to help others.
Alex Reeder epitomized what it meant to be a UWSP Pointer Cadet and a leader. This memorial ruck march is in honor of who he was and the legacy he left behind for others to follow.The funds gathered from this event will go to support the memorial scholarship presented to a Pointer cadet annually who exemplify the same commitment to excellence displayed by Alex.
To make a donation in memory of Cadet Reeder, visit www.uwsp.edu/givenow. Under Gift Information, select "Other Specific Fund" in the Designation and enter "Alex Reeder Memorial Scholarship."
Reeder's Ruck Rules:
- This is an individually-timed event where the goal is to complete an 8-mile course while carrying a 35 lb. rucksack or backpack as quickly as you can.
- Ruck sacks and backpacks will be the responsibility of the participant to bring and any style will be allowed.
- Each participant’s rucksack or backpack will be weighed before the beginning of the competition.
- Participants that finish with a rucksack or backpack weighing less than 35 lbs. will be disqualified from any individual awards.
Individual awards will be given to the top male and female finisher of the 40 and under class, as well as, the 41 and over class.
Registration begins at 9 a.m. in the Stevens Point downtown square.
Free parking is available across from Pfiffner Park (1100 Crosby Ave.).
The start line and finish line will all be held in the Stevens Point downtown square. The course then covers 8 miles through Stevens Point and on the Green Circle Trail along the Wisconsin River.
An additional 4 mile walking route will be provided for any participant who does not want to participate in the 8 mile event.
6 PERSON REEDER’S RUCK TEAM CHALLENGE
1. All participants must begin with and end with their 35-pound rucks.
2. You may walk or run the course or any combination thereof.
3. All teams/members must follow the course as briefed on the morning of the competition.
4. You may take water with you but this is in addition to the 30-pound ruck.
5. All members of your team must finish to qualify for awards. All members of the team must cross the finish line with their ruck. TEAMWORK IS HIGHLY ENCOURAGED.
6. You may not have assistance from anyone but your team members.
7. Team members may assist one another, however, individuals may not return to the course to assist another team member once they have crossed the finish line.
8. The first four people from each team to finish will count towards the teams total score. The total score is determined by adding up the four lowest finishing places of the participants. So, if a 6 man team comes in 4th, 8th, 9th, 20th, 60th, 70th, then their total score would be 41 (4+8+9+21=41). The winner of the event will be the lowest total score.
9. At the end of the Ruck March the Top three team’s ruck sacks will be weighed for integrity purposes. If any member of the team has below 35 pounds, they are disqualified from the event.
Save This Event
When & Where
UW-Stevens Point Ranger Club
Students, veterans and current military personnel on campus participate in various activities to promote wellness, comradery and adventure.