Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Northampton 4-H Camp Male Camper Registration
Mon, Jul 31, 2017, 8:00 AM – Fri, Aug 4, 2017, 1:30 PM EDT
4-H Junior Camp is a residential, week-long summer camp program available to Northampton County and residents ages 9-13. (Please see below for age guidelines.) Camp is held every year at the Airfield 4-H Educational Center in Wakefield, VA.
4-H camp provides youth countless opportunities for learning more about themselves, their peers, and the natural world around them. Days are filled with camp classes (archery, canoeing, robotics, videography, marine science, challenge course, leather craft, animal science, and much more!), unstructured recreation and swim time, flag ceremonies, evening programs, and campfires. Our main focus during camp is to help youth develop independence, self-esteem, confidence, interpersonal skills, and other life skills.
Please note that the Northampton Extension Office is in charge of planning for and processing registration for our week of 4-H Junior camp. Airfield 4-H Center is just the facility we use during the week for camp programming. Registration and/or questions regarding Northampton 4-H Junior camp should be directed to the Northampton Extension office at 757-678-7946, not the 4-H Center.
Cost and Payment
The cost to attend camp is $275.00 per camper. A $50.00 deposit per camper is due two weeks from time of registration. Thus, once you register you will need to pay online, mail or drop off a $50.00 deposit (or the whole camp fee of $275.00 if you choose) to our office at: VCE-Northampton, Attention: Camp Registration, 7247 Young Street, Machipongo, VA 23405. You can also bring the deposit into our office at the same address. We can accept cash or checks made out to "VCE: Northampton". Please put your camper's name in the memo line of all checks or attach a note with your camper's name to any cash payments. After registering an e-mail will be sent to you with a link to pay your deposit online. Deposits must be received within 2 weeks of your registration date or your spot in camp will be given to someone on the waitlist. There will be a $50.00 fee for all returned checks. The remaining camp balance will be due July 7, 2017.
Financial Assistance camp fees is available to youth with financial need. Guidelines for financial assistance eligibility are based on the USDA’s eligibility guidelines for free and reduced school lunches. Financial assistance applications are available on our website at http://offices.ext.vt.edu/northampton/programs/4h/summer-camp/index.html
You should submit your application with your $50.00 deposit (everyone is required to pay at least the $50.00 deposit). You will be notified of any financial assistance you will receive after your application has been processed.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Cancellations made prior to June 23, 2017 will result in a refund of payments made minus a processing fee of 5% of the $50.00 deposit ($2.50). Cancellations made after June 23, 2017 will result in a refund minus the $50.00 deposit and a 5% processing fee ($64.25).
Age requirements for attending camp:
A camper is any youth that is 9-13 years old, a Counselor-in-Training (CIT) must be at least 13 by January 1, 2017, and a Teen Camp Counselor must be at least 14 by January 1, 2017.
- A child that will turn nine before September 30, 2017 can attend camp as a camper (Thus, some 8 year olds can attend camp, as long as they will turn nine before September 30, 2017)
- Youth that turn 13 before January 1, 2017 can select if they would like to attend camp as a CIT or camper. (CITs must have applied in advance, applications were due Dec. 16th, 2016.)
- Youth that turn 13 between January 1 and September 30, 2017 must attend camp as a camper. They cannot serve as a CIT.
- Youth that turn 14 before January 1, 2017 can select to serve as a CIT or Teen Camp Counselor. They cannot attend camp as a camper – they must attend as a CIT at least. (CITs and Counselors must have applied in advance, applications were due Dec. 16th, 2017.)
- Youth that will turn 15 or older before January 1, 2017 can only attend camp as a Teen Camp Counselor. (Counselors must have applied in advance, applications were due February 28, 2016.)