Welcome to Sweet Home Alabama!
The Alabama Bucket Brigade is proud to welcome you to Alabama's first SPAAMFAA Convention & Muster, February 22-25, 2017 in Pelham, Alabama. You don't want to miss what promises to be an exciting and affordable convention with a mission-based focus covering key topics such as Preservation, Restoration, Operation, Fire Service and Fellowship.
During your stay you'll enjoy nationally recognized speakers, excursions to world class museums, informative seminars, a muster with road course competition, flea market, great food, entertainment, and of course, the best part of any SPAAMFAA convention: hanging out with a large number of your peers. Be sure to also visit www.DiscoverShelby.com to learn more about other places to visit during your stay!
You'll also experience what true Southern Hospitality is all about, including free shuttle service to and from the Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport to our host hotel and overflow hotels. It's just one of many ways we say thank you for supporting our first ever convention!
PLAN YOUR TRIP
****Our host hotel for the upcoming 2017 SPAAMFAA Winter Conference and Muster is already booked solid. We’re honored to have such tremendous support of our first ever conference in Alabama, and we thank you!
Additional hotel rooms are blocked at neighboring hotels that are within walking distance of the host hotel. We will be offering shuttle service to and from the various hotels to the host hotel to make it more convenient for everyone. Both hotels are offering the $99 per night rate, and both offer free breakfast and free internet.
KING ROOMS ONLY: The Fairfield Inn & Suites located at 230 Cahaba Valley Road, Pelham, AL 35124 is holding 25 ‘king bed’ rooms for us until February 5th at which time they will release any non-reserved rooms. You will need to call (205) 987-9879 to make your reservation. Be sure to mention that you’re with the SPAAMFAA convention.
TWO BED ROOMS ONLY: The Sleep Inn located at 200 Southgate Dr., Pelham, AL, 35124 is holding 25 ‘two bed’ rooms for us until February 5th at which time they will release any non-reserved rooms. You will need to call (205) 982-9800 to make your reservation. Be sure to mention that you’re with the SPAAMFAA convention.
In the event the above blocked rooms go quickly feel free to check the following nearby hotels for availability:
Quality Inn: 110 Cahaba Valley Pkwy, Pelham, AL 35124 (205) 444-9200
Best Western Plus: 100 Bishop Cir, Pelham, AL 35124 (205) 982-1113
Ramada Hotel: 113 Cahaba Valley Pkwy E, Pelham, AL 35124 (205) 987-0444
LaQuinta Inn & Suites: 120 Riverchase Pkwy E, Birmingham, AL 35244 (205) 403-0096
Have a Pet? Our host hotel does not allow pets however the La Quinta Inns & Suites located at 120 Riverchase Pkwy East, Hoover, AL 35244, just 2.4 miles from the host hotel, does allow pets. The hotel number is (205) 403-0096.
We encourage you to make your reservations as soon as possible due to a national track and field event that is now planned in Birmingham for the same week. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, concerns and or need assistance. We look forward to seeing you in 2017, and Happy New Year!
The registration table will be located at the Host Hotel: Holiday Inn Express - Oak Mountain Park Area located at 260 Cahaba Valley Road, Pelham, AL 35124.
Air and Rental Car Reservations: Attendees to our SPAAMFAA Convention can enjoy special group rates from Delta Airlines! Contact Lisa Townsend at Adventure Travel at 866-862-3957 ext 3212 to make your air or rental car reservation today. A small service fee will be applied on any air booking.
Tuesday (February 21, 2017)
3:00p..................Voting Ballot Counting at host hotel (Holiday Inn Express)
5:00p - 10:00p.....Registration table open at host hotel (Holiday Inn Express)
7:00p..................Finance Committee Meeting
Wednesday (February 22, 2017)
7:00a......Registration table open
8:00a......National SPAAMFAA Board Meeting. Guests are invited to observe.
8:00p......Hospitality Room opens
9:00p.......Archives Committee Meeting at host hotel
Enjoy the evening dining at one of the many restaurants located within walking distance of the hotel(s)
Thursday (February 23, 2017)
8:00a.......EXCURSION 1: ALABAMA FIRE COLLEGE & MERCEDES-BENZ U.S. INTERNATIONAL MUSEUM TOUR & PRESENTATION (buses depart host hotel promptly at 8:15a)
- Ø We Begin Our Fun-Filled, Informative Excursion At The Alabama Fire College In Tuscaloosa Where They Have In Store For You One Action Packed Visit. Watch Aspiring Firefighters Train On The Drill Field, Tour The Campus, Enjoy A Hearty Lunch, Be Inspired By Our Guest Speaker And Even Drive A Firetruck In Their State Of The Art Mobile Driving Simulator. On Our Return Trip Home We’ll Stop At The Mercedes-Benz U.S. International Visitor Center & Museum. This Incredible, Newly Renovated Museum Is An Evolving, Interactive Tour Through Some Of The Legendary Manufacturer's Greatest Innovations And Most Promising Future Concepts. This Excursion Ticket Includes Transportation, Tours And Lunch. Excursion Schedule: 8:15am Bus Departs Hotel; 9:30am Fire College Program Begins; Noon Lunch; 1:15pm Bus Departs For Mercedes-Benz Plant; 3;30pm Bus Departs For Hotel. Key Topics: Preservation, Restoration, Operation, Fire Service, Fellowship. $30.00pp
9:00a.....LADIES GET AWAY: ARTS, HISTORY, SOUTHERN CUISINE and BLOOMS (buses depart host hotel at 9:20a)
- Ø First Stop On Our Tour Is The Prestigious Birmingham Museum Of Art (BMA), One Of The Finest Regional Museums In The United States. BMA Houses A Diverse Collection Of More Than 26,000 Paintings, Sculpture, Prints, Drawings, And Decorative Arts Dating From Ancient To Modern Times. Next On Our Tour Is The Historic Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens, A Former Plantation House With 6 Acres Of Landscaped Gardens. This Beautiful Two-Story Frame Structure Built Around 1845 Features A Collection Of 19th-Century Furniture, Textiles, Silver, And Paintings. The Arlington Staff Will Prepare A Scrumptious, Homemade Southern Style Lunch Followed By A Docent Led Tour. Our Last Stop Of The Day Is The Beautiful Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Alabama's Largest Living Museum With More Than 12,000 Different Plants In Its Living Collections. The Gardens’ Features A Newly Renovated Conservatory, A Wildflower Garden, Two Rose Gardens, The Southern Living Magazine Garden, A Japanese Garden With A Traditionally Crafted Tea House, Plus, They House The Largest Public Horticulture Library In The U.S. You’ll Want To Wear Comfortable Walking Shoes On This Excursion. This Excursion Ticket Includes Transportation, Tours, Tickets, Lunch And A 'Southern Ladies Bag’ Filled With All Sorts Of Goodies From Area Merchants. Excursion Schedule: 9:20am Bus Departs Hotel; 10:00am Tour Begins; Noon Lunch; 1:00pm Tour Continues; 3:45pm Bus Departs For Hotel. Key Topics: Preservation, Restoration, Fellowship. $30.00pp
4:30p.......All Trip/Tour Buses Arrives At Host Hotel
5:30p.......GANGSTERS & MOLLS DINNER & TOUR at OLD CAR HEAVEN (buses depart host hotel promptly at 5:45p)
- Ø It Was The Time Of Prohibition, Illegal Drinking, Gambling, And Secret Speakeasy Joints. It’s When Black & White Silent Movies, The Charleston, Flappers, Al Capone, Gangsters, Shoot-Outs And Federal Police Raids Seemed To Be A Way Of Life. No Doubt, The 1920's And 30's Were Interesting Times But Maybe Not As Interesting As Some Of The Sleek Cars Of That Era. Join Us For A Fun-Filled ‘Welcome To Alabama’ Event At One Of The Most Popular Event Venues In Birmingham. Old Car Heaven Features More Than 100 Vintage Cars Of The Last Century, Including A 1915 Packard. Did We Mention Most Of These Cars Are For Sale? Enjoy Your Favorite Italian ‘Gangster Style’ Pastas And Desserts. A Cash Bar Will Be Available. Casual Attire Is Fine But If You Get Into The Mood And Want To Wear Your Best Gangster And Moll Attire You Might Just Win A Prize! A Cash Bar Will Be Onsite As Well As A Silent Auction Benefiting The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. Our Sponsor For This Special Evening Is The National Center For Fire And Life Safety, Making This An Affordable Event For All. This Excursion Ticket Includes Transportation, Tour And An Italian-Themed Dinner Buffet. Excursion Schedule: 5:45pm Bus Departs Hotel; 6:30pm Program Begins; 9:00pm Bus Departs For Hotel. Key Topics: Preservation, Restoration, Fellowship. $35.00pp
8:00p.......Hospitality Room opens
9:30p.......Chapter Presidents Meeting at Host Hotel
Friday (February 24, 2017)
9:00a......EXCURSION 3: BARBER MOTORSPORTS MUSEUM & LUNCHEON (buses depart host hotel promptly at 9:15a)
- Ø You Don't Want To Miss This Incredible, State-Of-The-Art Facility Categorized By The Guinness Book Of World Records As The World’s Largest Motorcycle Museum. CNN News Said The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum Is One Of 16 Intriguing Things To See And Do In The U.S. Spanning 830-Acres, Barber Motorsports Park Features A World-Class Racetrack And Museum With A Collection Containing Over 1,400 Motorcycles! The Barber Museum Showcases An Extraordinary Selection Of Motorcycles, Racecars And The World’s Most Extensive Assembly Of Lotus Cars. The Park Is Internationally Known As The Host Of The Honda Indy Grand Prix Of Alabama, Presenting Open-Wheel Racing With The Fastest Cars And Most Versatile Drivers In The World. This Event Is Part Of The Indycar Series, Which Is Crowned By The Indianapolis 500. The Track Is Home To The Porsche Sport Driving School, And A Number Of Automakers Have Chosen The Park For New Vehicle Debuts. This Excursion Ticket Includes Transportation, Ticket, Tour, Lunch And Presentation. Excursion Schedule: 9:15am Bus Departs Hotel; 10:00am Tour Begins; Noon Lunch; 2:00pm Bus Departs For Hotel. Key Topics: Preservation, Restoration, Fellowship. $45.00pp
2:30p.......'Excursion 3' Bus Arrives At Host Hotel
3:30p.......RED, WHITE & QUE DINNER, TOUR & MEMBERS MEETING at THE AMERICAN VILLAGE (buses depart host hotel promptly at 3:45p)
- Ø The American Village Is The Perfect Place To Gather For A Little Red, White And Que. Here In This Museum Of Ideas, Visitors To The American Village Step Onto The Stage Of American History And Discover The Power And Drama Of America’s Journey For Independence And Self-Government. What A Perfect Backdrop For SPAAMFAA’s Membership Meeting! Highlights Of This Unique And Beautiful Campus Include Washington Hall, The Colonial Courthouse, The Colonial Chapel And A Full-Sized Replica Of The Oval Office, Including An Exact Replica Of The Resolute Desk Used By Most Presidents Since Rutherford Hayes. The Newest Addition To The Campus Is The National Veterans Shrine And Register Of Honor, Dedicated To The Men And Women Of The United States Armed Forces. Step Into This Colonial Village In The Midst Of 183 Beautiful Acres And Enjoy A Revolutionary Experience That Will Certainly Engage All. Enjoy An Authentic Southern Bar-B-Q Buffet From Local Favorite Jim N’ Nicks. They’ll Be Serving Up Some Smoked Pork, Chicken, All The Fixins’, And An Assortment Of Homemade Desserts….Even Some Sweet Tea! But Don't Worry, We'll Have Unsweet Tea Ready For Those Already Sweet People. This Excursion Ticket Includes Transportation, Tour, Entertainment, Buffet Dinner And One Exciting Speaker. Excursion Schedule: 3:45pm Bus Departs Hotel; 4:15pm Program Begins; 6:15pm Dinner, Presentation and Meeting; 9:00pm Bus Departs For Hotel. Key Topics: Preservation, Fellowship. $40.00pp
***For those who only wish to attend the membership meeting portion of the evening we will provide a shuttle departing the host hotel at 7:30PM.
8:00p......Members Meeting at American Village
9:00p......Hospitality Room opens at host hotel
Saturday (February 25, 2017)
7:00a.......Pelham Civic Center Parking Lot opens for apparatus and flea market setup
8:00a.......Registration Opens (closes at 11:00a)
9:00a.......Muster and Flea Market Open
9:00a.......Creative Apparatus Photography Seminar by Butch Dill, Photojournalist for Associated Press, Reuters, European Press Agency and many others. Photos have appeared in magazines such as Sports Illustrated and ESPN.
10:00a.....Restoration Tips and Demonstration by Peter West
1:00p.......Fire Truck Safety Course Demonstration
3:00p……Muster and Flea Market Closes
6:00p......FIRE BRIGADE DINNER (within walking distance to Civic Center; van at host hotel available if needed)
- Ø Our Guest Presenter Is Chief Alan Brunacini, a nationally recognized leader in the fire service. Chief Brunacini served as the Fire Chief for the Phoenix, AZ Fire Department for more than 28 years. He is the author of Fire Command, Command Safety, Timeless Tactical Truths, Essentials of Fire Department Customer Service and The Anatomy and Physiology of Leadership. Dinner Will Be Served Buffet Style Featuring Chicken Cordon Bleu, Baked And Fried Tilapia, A Tossed Green Salad Station With Condiments, Whole Baby Honey Glazed Carrots, Oven Roasted New Potatoes, Green Bean Almondine, Rolls, Beverages, And A Homemade Cobbler Station Featuring Apple, Peach And Blackberry Cobblers With An Optional Scoop Of Vanilla Ice Cream On Top! A Cash Bar Will Be Available. The Fire Brigade Banquet Will Be Held At The Pelham Civic Center Located Directly Behind The Host Hotel And Within Walking Distance. For Folks Unable To Walk We Will Offer Transportation. This Event Ticket Includes Speaker And Dinner. Schedule: 6:00 Doors Open; 6:30pm Dinner Program Begins; 9:00pm Program Adjourns. Key Topics: Fire Service, Fellowship. $50.00pp
Sunday (February 26, 2017)
Shuttles run 4:00am until Noon to Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
ALL REGISTRANTS RECEIVE A LUNCH COOLER:
Date and Time
Pelham (Birmingham area), Alabama
Holiday Inn Express - Oak Mountain Park Area
260 Cahaba Valley Road
Pelham, AL 35124