2016 Iceland Midnight Sun Timelapse Expedition
June 26th– July 2nd, 2017
Join filmmaker/photographer Henry Jun Wah Lee for a 7-day timelapse and aerial expedition in Iceland during the time of the Midnight Sun in the middle of summer. During the Midnight Sun, we will experience 24 hours of daylight and 5+ hours of absolutely magical light during “golden hour” when sunset ever so slowly transitions into sunrise. The summer is also when access to the remote highlands is possible.
Traveling in a 4-wheel drive high clearance vehicle, we will go where the light and weather is best. We will be exploring and shooting in Iceland’s most scenic areas! Conditions permitting, our priority will be heading into Iceland’s interior for breathtaking landscapes that are impossible to access for much of the year due to ice and snow. Vast glaciers, breathtaking waterfalls, colorful mountains, beautiful wild flowers, other-worldly landscapes and more awaits.
This timelapse and aerial expedition is one big shooting adventure that will be an organic blend of timelapse photography and aerial cinematography. Henry’s Intro to Timelapse workshop, offered several times each year, is highly recommended to help get you prepared for the journey.
- This is the only workshop that offers an open itinerary in order to follow the best light and weather conditions on the island. Iceland’s weather is very dynamic and unpredictable with fierce gale force strength winds and torrential rains possible. Being able to avoid bad weather is the best way to shoot in Iceland.
- Specifically designed for filmmakers, with emphasis on timelapse photography and aerial cinematography.
- Travel by well-equipped 4-wheel drive vehicles and super jeeps to off-the-beaten-path locations that are otherwise impossible to reach.
- Capture epic scenes of beauty in the breathtaking highlands, glaciers, lagoons, rivers, mountains, and waterfalls.
- Learn with one of the premier timelapse experts in the world.
- Expand your creative horizons by taking to the air using drones.
- A maximum of 8 participants to keep the workshop nimble and highly personalized.
- Potential highlights (based on weather) include: Kerlingarfjöll, Hveravellir, Hvitserkur, Godafoss, Hrafnabjargafoss, Aldeyjafoss, Askja, Kverkfjöll, Bakkagerði, Landmannalaugar, Lakagigar, Thórsmörk, Myrdalsjökull, Svinafellsjökull, and Vatnajökull.
What You Will Need to Bring
- • Camera – DSLR or Mirrorless. A camera that has manual exposure settings and can shoot RAW is highly recommended.
- • Lenses – Bring all the focal lengths you want to shoot. All focal lengths from ultra-wide to super-teles will be useful for this trip. Zoom lenses are going to be very convenient to have although primes are still the lenses of choice for ultimate quality.
- • Tripod with ball head.
- • Intervalometer. One for each camera.
- • Memory cards – 3 or more 64 GB or larger cards are highly recommended. 128 or 256 GB cards for high megapixel cameras. You want them large enough to be able to shoot at least 1200 images each.
- • Plenty of extra batteries and battery charger – expect to use 2-3 batteries per day. A battery grip that holds 2 batterys will allow you to shoot longer sequences without running out of power. Plan to have enough power for 2 full days without charging.
- • Laptop computer – to preview, process and edit your shots. Bring a memory card reader or usb cable for your camera so you can transfer your shots.
- • 4 TB hard drive for storage. An additional hard drive is highly recommended for backup.
- • Smart Phone or tablet with GPS functionality– there are some helpful and powerful apps that will help us shoot.
- • Neutral density and graduated ND filters.
- • If you already have your own motion control gear, bring it! It is a good time to put it all to good use.
- • Photographer’s insurance – to cover your equipment in case of accidents.
- • International travel and medical insurance – to cover unexpected travel or health issues.
$5495. A $2000 deposit is due upon registration to guarantee your spot. Remaining balance is due 90 days before start of workshop.
Note: Workshop fee includes ground transportation, guide fees and meals while in remote areas. It does not include international air transportation to Iceland, lodging ($60-$150 per night) or meals when in town. We will pick you up and drop off either direct from/to the airport or a hotel in Reykjavik. Whichever is more convenient. Please inquire for more details.
Cancel more than 90 days before start of workshop: Full refund minus $500 fee.
Cancel 60 days before start of workshop: 75% refund.
Cancel 30 days before start of workshop: 50% refund.
Cancel less than 30 days before start of workshop: no refund.
Questions and Contact Information
If you have questions about this event or wish to sign up over the phone, please email email@example.com or call 310-980-8645
Have questions about 2017 Iceland Midnight Sun Timelapse and Aerial Expedition?
Contact Henry Jun Wah Lee