Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Family Learning Village--April
Sat, Apr 1, 2017, 11:00 AM – Sat, Apr 29, 2017, 4:00 PM EDT
About the event
Family Learning Villages (FLVs), organized by Village of Wisdom, are interactive workshops for parents of Black children led by parents of Black children. We aim to help families explore the unique joys and challenges of raising Black children in today's society, where our children can celebrate #blackgirlmagic and #blackgenius, but we still need to remind the world that #blacklivesmatter. The Family Learning Village curriculum is based in lived experience and academic research, and FLV exercises are designed to empower families, create community among participants, and help parents support their children's self-image and resilience. Family Learning Villages offer caregivers a space to discuss, learn, and practice, along with the concrete support of a community and a $150 stipend per family to apply toward their child's enrichment and growth.
Where: Antioch Baptist Church, 1415 Holloway Street, Durham, NC
When: Every Saturday, April 1st--April 29th, 11:00am--4:00pm
Who: Families with at least ONE child between the ages of 5yr-14yr
- Registration is available on a sliding scale, from $5 to $150 (We have a free ticket option for those who need it).
- We don't have any income requirements to decide your registration--we just ask that you contibute an amount that represents the value of the workshop to your family
- Meals will be provided for participants and children
- Childcare will be provided
- Please limit registration to two (2) caregivers per family
- One (1) stipend will be disbursed per family
- All registered caregivers must be available to attend all sessions
Purchase one (1) sliding scale ticket per workshop participant (it is not necessary to purchase tickets for children)
Complete the registration form: https://goo.gl/forms/eqzY6K5gs6YlvQbK2
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Please park along Alma & Holloway Street - there will be a VOW sign posted outside. If you need transportation please contact Jasmine or Brie.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Jasmine -- email at firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 919-259-0663
Brie -- email bdorsey@villageofwisdom OR call 919-937-5442