Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Diversity Summit: Embracing Diversity and Inclusion at GW
Wed, March 29, 2017, 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM EDT
Is it hate speech or freedom of speech?
Can diversity go beyond checking a box?
Is GW inclusive or just diverse?
Join the Office for Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement for a one-day educational summit for GW students, faculty and staff as we examine these topics ranging from, but not limited to, hate speech and allyship to immigration reform and unconscious bias.
For more information on the 2017 Diversity Summit: Embracing Diversity and Inclusion at GW visit.
A sampling of workshops and descriptions can be found here.
8:00am-8:25am- Breakfast (School of Media and Public Affairs, 2nd Floor Gallery)
8:30am-9:45am- Morning Plenary with President Knapp and Guest Keynote Deepa Iyer (Jack Morton Auditorium )
10:00am-10:50am- Concurrent Workshop Series #1 (Marvin Center)
- Trans Allyship 101
- Intersectional Diversity and Lived Experience within a Nontraditional Student Body: A Panel of GW VALOR Military-Affiliated Students
- Understanding and Fighting Unconscious Bias
- Title IX 101
11:00am-11:50am- Concurrent Workshop Series #2
- Disability 101: Practical Approaches to Teaching Students with Disabilities
- In Her Shoes: An Interactive Activity to Explore Dating Violence
- Working It and Raising High in the Workplace
- Strategies for Creating Affirming Environments for Sexual and Gender Minorities: Embracing LGBTQ Students, Faculty, Staff, and Patients
12:00pm-1:30pm- Lunch with Keynote Catherine Ross on Hate Speech, the 1st Amendment, and Academic Freedom (Marvin Center, Grand Ballroom)
1:45pm-2:45pm- Concurrent Workshop Series #3
- Supporting Students During Immigration Crises
- Speak Your Truth: Using Storytelling as a Strategy to Facilitate Social Justice Conversations on College Campuses
- Diversity in Science at GW's Center for the Advanced Study of Human Paleobiology
3:00pm-3:45pm- Poster Session and Networking
A sampling of poster sessions:
- Study Abroad Engagement Among First-Generation Students
- Expanding Concepts of Diversity
- Disentangling the Barriers of LGBTQ+ Student Athletes in Higher Education
- Bridging the Digital Divide at GW
- Using the Course Syllabus to Set the Stage for Productive Discussions of Differing Student Experiences
- Gender Inclusive Bathroom Initiatives
- Marshall Scholarship
4:00pm-5:00pm- Concurrent Workshop Series #4
- Where Service-Learning and Diversity Meet: A Faculty Panel
- Solidarity without Appropriation: A Panel Discussion
- Our Stories, Our Voices: Women’s Leadership in Higher Education
5:00pm-5:45pm- Closing, Transition/Networking and Entertainment
6:00pm-6:50pm- Evening Introduction and Guest Keynote Steve Birdine
7:00pm-7:50pm- Concurrent Student Workshop Series #5
- Through Our Eyes: A Panel Discussion on Being a POSSE at GW
- Fundamentals of Diversity, Cross-Cultural Communication and Cultural Intelligence
- Allyship 2.0: More than “Understanding” the “Coming Out” Process
8:00pm-8:50pm- Concurrent Student Workshop Series #6
- Where Community Service and Diversity Meet: A Student Panel
- Fighting Unconscious Bias