Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Delaware Estuary Watershed Teacher Workshops
Mon, Jul 17, 2017, 9:00 AM – Thu, Jul 20, 2017, 4:00 PM EDT
Join us for our 2017 Teachers Workshop. This exciting workshop takes place over four days (July 17-20, 2017).
You can register for one, two, three, or all four days!
Please note registration is open until filled or Friday, July 7th at 5pm.
Benefits of Participating
- Learn interdisciplinary ways to translate the environmental experience to your classroom
- Explore areas of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware with scientists and educational professionals
- Earn 4 to 6 clock hours (or professional development hours) per sessions or 20 clock hours for all 4 sessions upon completion
Storm Water in the Suburbs
- When: Monday, July 17
- Where: Chester County, PA
- Time: 9am – 4pm
- When it rains we often think the water disappears, but it does so much more. This day will explore different ways storm water is managed with green infrastructure and how to teach your students about their watershed and where the water goes when it rains. We will also show you how to do a storm drain marking program with students!
Mussels, Water and Art in the City
- When: Tuesday, July 18
- Where: Fairmount Water Works, Philadelphia PA
- Time: 9am – 4:00pm
- Our day will start at the Fairmount Water Works learning about the history of water in the city of Philadelphia and Mighty Mussel exhibit with real mussel scientists! Then we will visit Bartram’s Gardens to learn about their programs and how to incorporate art into classroom activities about water and mussels.
What’s in the Water?
- When: Wednesday, July 19
- Where: Along the Brandywine Creek, DE
- Time: 9am – 4pm
- This day is about getting your feet wet and seeing what is in the water! We will do a mussel survey and find real life mussels, search for macroinvertebrates, and will also test the water quality. All of these activities can be repeated with your students in your local waterway. Please be prepared to get wet!
Climate Change in the Classroom
- When: Thursday, July 20
- Where: PSEG Energy & Environmental Resource Center, Salem NJ
- Time: 9am – 4 pm
- Our day will start with exploring “What’s the Scoop on Climate Change” and the PSEG Education Center's 6,000 sq. ft. museum about energy. After lunch we will travel south to explore a living shoreline with PDE scientists and learn what we are doing to combat climate change on the shores of Delaware Bay.