Actions and Detail Panel
2017 Alumni Awards Banquet
Thu, May 11, 2017, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM PDT
The GWHS Alumni Association is pleased to present the 2017 Alumni Awards Banquet, honoring and celebrating GWHS' 80th anniversary! The evening will include inductions of 7 into the Hall of Merit, the introduction of the Annabelle Marsh Piercy Lifetime Service Award with 4 charter awardees, a silent auction, historical displays and more. It's going to be a great evening you won't want to miss, and it will sell out! All inductees/awardees are scheduled to attend. Master of Ceremonies Alumni President John Rothmann. Doors open at 6pm, dinner service 7pm.
The Hall of Merit inductees are:
- Aaron Glantz Class of ‘95, an investigative journalist and author specializing in veterans affairs and mideast conflicts who has received many prestigious accolades,
- Peggy Miller Kaplan S'39, a trailblazing woman doctor, pubilc health physician and advocate for children and seniors who turned on S.F.'s fluoridation,
- Martha Richards S’67, non-profit arts manager and advocate, founder of WomenArts & founding board of California Lawyers for the Arts,
- Gary Shapiro S’59, a retired attorney who has served as a director/trustee and officer of Bay Area organizations including Palo Alto University and St. Francis Hospital Foundation,
- David Simon S’67, entertainment industry veteran at Fox, Disney and Dreamworks, founder of Simon Bros Media to advise worldwide media companies,
- George (Anderson) Sumner S’58, an environmental impressionist painter producing vivid marine imagery and commemorative fine art works, and
- Garret Tom '78, who served with SFPD for 35 years with a Bronze Medal of Valor and many service commendations, becoming Central Station Captain, Commander of Patrol, and retiring as Deputy Chief.
The charter Annabelle recipients are:
- George Choppelas S’50, who chaired many class reunions, coordinated the bimonthly GW Faithful luncheons from 1982 to 2011, bestowed the Stan Sheriff Award, and serves on the GW Athletic Hall of Fame board,
- Kris Kimball S’58, chair for the GW team of the joint GW-AL Bell Game Party from 2005 to 2015 which raised funds for GW sports, archivist, long-time reunion chair, and fundraised to establish the Effie Pandell Social Studies Endowment,
- Steve Kovacs S’64, four-time reunion chair who overcame 50-year event planning obstacles including a competing reunion on the same night to produce a successful sold-out event, and fundraised to establish the Class of 1964 Technology Fund, and
- Paul Wallace F’41, creator and coordinator of the Leith's Guys quarterly luncheons from 1990 to 2014, military veteran who researched and fundraised for the WWII/Korea memorial plaque installed in 1995 next to the Main Office.