All proceeds from competitor registration will be donated to Grounds for Health, a charity that works to provide medical care to women in coffee growing areas.
Come join us for the 2016 World Coffee Throwing Championships in the yard of the Bernard Shaw on Friday, June 24th! This year's event will be held at the legendary Bernard Shaw--tasty 'choons, great people, delicious beer, and the title of 2016 World Coffee Throwing Champion in your weight class--what could be better? Rules and regs below. Need a kilo of coffee? Just shout! We'll have some off-roasts to hand!
World National Coffee Throwing Championships
1. Contestants have to throw a bag of roasted coffee, of gross weight no less than 1kg, the furthest distance without the aid of throwing devices and without the bag bursting
2. If your bag bursts and spills a bean, or part thereof, you are disqualified.
3. The final resting place of the furthermost part of the bag is considered to be the distance reached.
4. Competitors will indicate their weight class prior to competition; prizes will be awarded to the furthest bag thrown in each class. The classes are as follows:
a. Flyweight: 80 lbs – 135 lbs
b. Featherweight: 135 lbs – 185 lbs
c. Welterweight: 185 + lbs
5. Scoring is decided as such:
a. 1m = 1 point, 1cm= 0.01point (therefore 21.34 metres = 21.34 points)
b. 10 points for bringing a napkin
c. 10 points for pouring water into a glass before throwing
d. 10 points for “overall impression and synergy”
6. Contestants are expected to provide their own music, which may or may not be played during competition time.
7. The “Random Disqualification Klaxon” will disqualify the incumbent thrower for no particular reason at a random time in the competition.
8. Contestants are encouraged to pick the variety, roast, process and flavour profile of their chosen coffee in accordance with their throwing technique and will be asked to explain their coffee choice and throwing technique to the judge(s) before completing their throw (maximum of five minutes allowed per competitor).
9. The bag can be vac-packed, valved, sealed, or any other method as long as said method is of a commercial nature.
When & Where
Tamper Tantrum Ltd.
The coffee industry is one full of interesting people with incredible stories: we are a platform dedicated to broadcasting those stories to a worldwide audience. We focus our work on sourcing a diverse range of opinions, data, and theories from various ends of the coffee spectrum and converging them into one place as a forum for learning and debate.
In addition to hosting a fortnightly podcast, we have built a library of coffee lectures amassed over the last five years of live events and interviews. Tamper Tantrum Live has been hosted and recorded in over ten cities around the world, from Dublin to Taipei and many more in between.
Tamper Tantrum is at the forefront of internationally renowned coffee events and will continue to create valuable content through live shows and events in many countries across the world for years to come.