2016 VNA Meals on Wheels MLK Day of Caring
The Faith Community Action Team of the Dallas Coalition for Hunger Solutions joins VNA Meals on Wheels for the 5th annual Martin Luther King (MLK) Day of Caring addressing hunger in our community.
Over 20,000 seniors are food insecure in Dallas County and while VNA helps feeds 4,000 seniors daily, there are many more seniors in need. The faith community can make a difference!
On Monday, January 18th, the MLK Day of Caring will give congregations an opportunity to have an impact on hunger by delivering hot, nutritious meals to homebound seniors, especially in the southern sector of Dallas. And, money is saved so that additional seniors can be served in the future. Our goal is to engage volunteers from the faith community to help cover 100% of the VNA Meals on Wheels routes that day!
How the Day of Caring Works
- Sign up as an individual or with your congregation.
- We ask that people go on routes in teams of 2, so groups that have more than 2 will be divided up into multiple routes.
- You will be notified with detailed information in advance about your route as well as a pick-up time (between 10am-11am).
- Participants will arrive at the meal distribution location to pick up meals (if there is a change in distribution location we will let you know):
6808 Pastor Bailey Drive
Dallas, TX 75237
- Each route includes on average 5-10 stops serving an average of 10-12 individuals.
- You can suggest a preferred neighborhood in southern Dallas County to serve but the ability to accomodate that preference will depend on where meal recipients are located and other factors.
- Each route takes no more than 2 hours.
- Participant drivers must hold a valid drivers license. Children under 16 year of age can participate with an accompanying adult.
For questions, please contact VNA’s Kim Peters at 214-689-2210 or email@example.com.