Follow in the footsteps of Baltimore's literary luminaries and discover the elegant brownstone mansions and majestic cultural institutions built by Baltimore's successful 19th century merchants and industrialists. Learn how a neighborhood of scholars, struggling artists and authors, newspaperman, philanthropists and social reformers offered rich opportunities to discuss and debate ideas and open new literary avenues.
This tour is offered by Maryland Humanities.
Learn about the tour experience!
The famous Owl Bar, located in the Belevedere Hotel (a stop on our tour) has provided 10% off coupons for lunch to tour-goers. Docents will hand out coupons to tour takers the day of each tour.
LOOKING TO BOOK A DATE FOR A GROUP TOUR? Groups of 10+ who wish to reserve a tour date for their group should contact Jessica Baldwin at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (410) 685-3715 (M-F, 9a-5p).
* Tickets must be purchased in advance. NO WALK UPS ACCEPTED. Docents do not carry cash.
* OCTOBER TOURGOERS: The Baltimore Marathon will also be taking place on October 15th. Please consult the race map to help plan your visit to Mount Vernon. Parking garages on Charles Street are preferable as the race does not use this street, but please allow extra time for your commute if you are driving.
* Tour takers will meet their guide in front of the Enoch Pratt Free Library at 400 Cathedral Street in Baltimore City and wear comfortable shoes made for walking - Mount Vernon lives up to its name and there are many authors to see!
* A minimum of 10 reservations are needed per tour. Tour takers will receive an email confirming the status of their tour 48 hours in advance of their schedule date. Tour-takers will be asked to provide proof of registration via their printed eventbrite 'ticket.'
* Tours will be cancelled if there is inclement weather (tour goers will receive instructions with confirmation email). Tours take 90 mins - 2 hours depending upon size and pacing of group.
- Refunds or exchanges can be arranged for tours cancelled by Maryland Humanities; otherwise all sales are final, no refunds given for no-shows.
* Tour goers will receive a complimentary issue of "Opening Eyes," our monthly Email newsletter of humanities happenings in your area.
* Tours start on time! Please try to be ready to go at 11am.