2016 Holiday House Tour and Tasting
This tour is self-guided and may be completed in any order. Receive a wristband and program at your first stop.
The Dobbin House will give History and Tour of the Property between 9AM till 11AM:Dobbin House – 89 Steinwehr Avenue Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-2100www.dobbinhouse.com Built in 1776 by the Reverend Alexander Dobbin, this stone farmhouse was part of the Underground Railroad and was a witness to the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Guests will be treated to beautiful colonial era Christmas decorations on this tour.
The following properties are open from 12PM to 5 PM:
The Little Round Top Farm- (717)334-6905- http://www.dobbinhouse.com The home is located on twelve pristine acres, which includes a large pond, numerous granite boulders, and a walking trail to the spot where General Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine Infantry saved the Union's flank.
Battlefield Inn - 2264 Emmitsburg Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325 - 717-334-8804 www.gettysburgbattlefeild.com The historic farmhouse was used as General Merritt's Headquarters (Union Cavalry.) The historic barn was a field hospital. After Pickett's Charge, the farm was used as a Union cavalry camp.
Lee’s Headquarters – 401 Buford Avenue, Gettysburg (941-323-2559); This property was at the heart of the fighting on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg and served as the center of Robert E. Lee’s headquarters complex for the rest of the battle. The landscape and the house itself, occupied by Mary Thompson at the time of the battle and owned by Radical Republican Congressman Thaddeus Stevens, were recently restored to the degree possible to their 1863 appearance by the Civil War Trust. Please enjoy the short walking trail and interpretive signs on the property along with the inside of the house, which will be open for this special event
Baladerry Inn – 40 Hospital Rd. Gettysburg 717-337-1342 www.baladerryinn.com Located to the south of Gettysburg, the George Bushman farm served as a field hospital for the Army of the Potomac. Hand-blown glass windows and wood floors serve as reminders of the past. Today the inn offers ten guest rooms and suites.
Daniel Lady Farm – 986 Hanover Rd. Gettysburgwww.gbpa.org Daniel Lady Farm played an important role in the three-day battle of Gettysburg. The farm was occupied by southern forces on July 1, 1863 and served as a Confederate staging area for the remainder of the battle. In addition, the farm served as a hospital for the wounded of both sides; several burials were recorded on the property.
Inn at Herr Ridge – 900 Chambersburg Rd. Gettysburg, PA 17325 – 717-334-4332 www.innatherrridge.com The Inn at Herr Ridge was built as a tavern in 1815, adding lodging options in 1828 under the ownership of Frederick Herr. The house remained a tavern until 1868, when it was sold and became a farm. In 1977, a tavern was reopened on the site and now offers guests 17 distinctive guest rooms and suites.
The Swope Manor – 58-60 York St. Gettysburg, PA 17325 – 717-398-2655www.theswopemanor.com This property dates back to 1793, with today’s brick building built in 1836 by George Swope. It remained a private home until the early 1900s. Renovated and opened as a bed and breakfast in May 2013, The Swope Manor offers 13 rooming options, including three executive suites.
SCCAP Cafe – 153 N. Stratton St. Gettysburg 717-334-7634 ext. 175 www.sccap.org South Central Community Action Programs is the non-profit organization recipient of funds raised through our annual House Tour. The Foodservice Development Program led by Chef Jeremy Schaffner is one of the career training programs offered through SCCAP. The café is open on weekdays for lunch and catering is available.
Historic G.A.R. Hall – 53 E. Middle St. Gettysburg www.hgaconline.orgEnjoy a tour of the historic G.A.R. Hall beautifully decorated for the upcoming holiday season while shopping for a "few of your favorite things!” The hall was originally a Methodist Episcopal Church and is the oldest standing church building in Gettysburg. It was sold to the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1880 and remained in use until the 1930s. The property was acquired and restored by the Historic Preservation Society of Gettysburg-Adams County (HGAC) in 1988.
Christ Lutheran Church – 30 Chambersburg St. Gettysburg 717-334-5212 www.christgettysburg.net Built between 1835 and 1836, this historic church building was utilized as a hospital during and after the battle. In addition to many beautiful features of the building, the bell tower is original and the bell which has hung there since 1836 is still used every Sunday. Please return after the House Tour for the Songs and Stories of the Civil War candlelight program beginning at 8pm.
Don't miss out on this great tour you will see the above and more!!! Spend the Weekend by calling one of our members Inns ( www.gettysburgbedandbreakfast.com ) and enjoy a full weekend, see what Totem Pole Play House and the Majestic Theater has to offer and Steinwerh Ave, also check out Gettysburg Area Retail Merchants Association for more info on what to do in Gettysburg during the Holidays! We are excited for you to join in on the Savor Gettysburg Food Tour on Sunday for more information click on the following link. http://www.savorgettysburgfoodtours.com/comfort-food-tour.htmle