Designed to educate Historically Black Colleges & Universities on the federal contracting process and how to win contracts, the HBCU Federal Contracting Academy will be taught by the leadership of federal agencies and industry subject matter experts.
Over the course of two days, the academy will have four specific learning tracks, whch will focus on the following learning outcomes:
- How to start a federal contracting division within a University system.
- Understand the unique characteristics of federal contracts and how they benefit HBCUs.
- Recognize federal contract key elements, and how they differ from grants and cooperative agreements.
- Learn the federal contracting process, including the roles and responsibilities of the key staff that should be a part of the team.
- Discover how to become ready to bid on contracts including how to prepare capability statements to highlight core competencies within the University.
- Learn how to build strong federal relationships to further the contracting process.
- Understand where to find opportunities within the federal marketplace by department or agency.
- Provide strategies for implementing and managing federal contracts from pre-award to post-award.
- Meet key federal buyers and industry partners to collaborate and win federal research projects and much more.
Overall, the HBCU Federal Contracting Academy will combine how-to education with comprehensive contracting knowledge and face-to-face interaction. Each HBCU participant will leave knowing how to better compete and win contracts in the federal marketplace.
October 25, 2016
White House Federal Contracting Panel 2:00 - 4:00pm
In association with the White House Initiative for HBCUs, a two-part panel will discuss federal contracting as an overview and then outline how to do business with a few key agencies, including NASA and the Department of Defense.
Opening Networking Reception 5:30 - 7:30pm
Relationship building is critical in the government marketplace. Who you know is certainly how things get done. Join us for a must attend networking reception and get to know the speakers and academy trainers personally. Ask questions, collaborate, pitch ideas, but most importantly, be here!
October 26, 2016
Opening General Session Breakfast 7:30-8:45am
The day begins with our opening keynote speaker, the Honorable Kenyata Wesley, Acting Director Department of Defense. A seasoned contracting expert, the Honorable K. Wesley has worked with HBCUs and majority universities on obtaining contracts with DoD.
Federal Contracting Academy Tracks 9:00 - 3:30pm
Four comprehensive tracks are presented during the full contracting academy. Cover the Academy with your federal contracting team. Each track will have dedicated speakers and trainers.
Track I: HBCU - Federal Contracting 101
Track II: Partnerships, Teaming & Collaborations
Track III: Technical & Support Team
Track IV: Capture Management: Understanding Opportunities by Department
HBCU Research Pitch 4:00 - 5:45pm
The first of its kind, the HBCU Research Pitch will help HBCUs bring home potential contracts. Each participating HBCU/MI will have the one-on-one opportunity to sit with federal agencies & industry partners to collaborate and talk about work that can be done within their agencies. Learn the needs of each Department, understand where the opportunities are in government, and pitch research in your core compentencies.