Sales Have Ended
Sales Have Ended
College Application and Exploration Week
West Virginia's seventh annual College Application and Exploration Week will be held across the state October 31 through November 4, 2016!
College Application and Exploration Week is a chance for the entire school community to discuss college options and promote college-going. Schools that are the most successful start small, then add components every year. Often, practices initiated for College Application and Exploration Week become infused within the school culture year round.
Hundreds of elementary schools, middle schools, high schools and adult basic education classes across West Virginia participate each year.
To be recognized as an official participant, schools must register at www.cfwv.com. Schools that register before September 16 will receive a free toolkit. Typically, the school counselor serves as the event coordinator and registers the school.
Elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and adult basic education and SPOKES classes may register to be an official College Application and Exploration Week site for 2016. Participating schools and classes must register by September 16.
Requirements for Participation:
College Application and Exploration Week sites must meet at least three basic requirements:
- Provide computer lab time to allow 12th grade (or adult) students to explore college options and submit college applications. Seventh through 11th-grade students can explore career and college options using the state's free college-planning website, www.cfwv.com. Students younger than 7th grade can complete other college awareness activities.
- Host one or more schoolwide activities to increase awareness of the importance of planning for education and training beyond high school.
- Complete the required site coordinator survey (after the event), which allows CFWV to evaluate the event's impact.
Additionally, schools are encouraged to host a variety of fun activities aimed at building excitement about the college exploration process and informing students of postsecondary options. Site leaders will be provided with an event planning and idea kit.
Why Sign Up?
Participating sites will receive resources to help fuel a culture of college-readiness in their schools and communities. Sites will receive:
- An event-planning and idea kit, containing step-by-step instructions for hosting a successful College Application and Exploration Week event.
- College-planning materials to help students understand and complete the college exploration and application processes.
- College-themed door prizes for students.
- Promotional items to spread awareness about your event and the importance of early college-planning.
- A statewide recognition (maybe including media coverage!), and bragging rights.
- The satisfaction of helping underserved students take a proactive approach to planning and preparing for their future.
The College Foundation of West Virginia (CFWV) and its many partners are proud to coordinate West Virginia’s College Application Week initiative as part of the larger national effort coordinated by the American Council on Education. West Virginia's College Application and Exploration Week is supported by the work of the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, the West Virginia Community and Technical College System, the West Virginia Department of Education, the West Virginia Department of Education and the Arts, West Virginia GEAR UP, West Virginia's TRIO programs and many others.