Dear BYU Geology Alumnus,
Announcing the 2016 Homecoming field trip to the San Rafael Swell!
In keeping with our tradition of offering an opportunity to go on a field trip to spectacular local destinations with geology experts, this year Professor Bill Keach will be your host. Site visits include stops in Spanish Fork Canyon, Drunkards Wash Coal Bed Methane Field (near Price), the Wedge Overlook and the Buckhorn Panel (petroglyphs and pictographs on the Wingate SS).
Departure Location & Time
Meet at the BYU Museum of Paleontology, 1683 North Canyon Road, at 7:00 AM on Friday, October 14th, for a 7:15 AM departure. Light snacks and drinks will be available in the van. A sack lunch is provided.
Return Location & Time
Returning before 6:00 PM in time for the football game.
Explore Basin and Range tectonics and the San Rafael Swell. Stops include:
- The Wasatch Fault (17 Ma – present), the eastern limit of Basin and Range extension.
- Thistle Slide (remember 1983?).
- Blackhawk Formation.
- Pass through the Drunkards Wash Coal Bed Methane Field. ~500 wells producing CBM in and around Price, UT.
- The Wedge Overlook, spectacular view of what is often called the Little Grand Canyon.
- Drive through the Buckhorn Draw. We’ll see some old friends, Entrada, Navajo and Wingate with a final stop at the Buckhorn Wash Panel. Here you will see pictographs (2000 yrs) and petroglyphs (1000 yrs).
In lieu of a charge for this event, we would invite you to donate to the “Geology – Hamblin Mentored Field Trip” fund. This fund supplements students going on the annual geology field trip. Any amount would be welcome. We appreciate you as our alumnus!
Brooks B. Britt