1st Annual Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament & Fundraiser (aka LingerACE!)
Saturday, August 11, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
PLAYER AND REFEREE ADMISSION HAS SOLD OUT, HOWEVER WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING DONATIONS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
The Short and Sweet:
A women's doubles beach volleyball tournament... in lingerie!
The Longer Version:
The 1st Annual Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament & Fundraiser (unofficially known as LingerACE!) is a fundraising volleyball tournament conceived in the minds of some of Ocean Park's finest ladies :) We were discussing the lengthy "Wish List" of Santa Monica beach volleyball players far and wide: fixing broken adjustable net clips, getting new permanent lines at the pier, establishing permanent lines at OP, getting new nets for some of the courts, etc etc etc. One afternoon, we decided it might be fun to create an annual eventthat could generate funds for the Santa Monica City fund that pays for beach and volleyball court maintenance! Being the marketing professionals we are by trade, we figured: What could possibly bring more spectators, donations, sponsorship dollars, and general unadulterated FUN, than setting up a tournament of women and lingerie!??
Rules, Format and Registration/Goodies:
Lingerie and other "skimpy" costumes (french maid, etc) are highly encouraged! Remember that bikinis are more revealing than most lingerie out there, ladies! Wearing a "baby doll" over your normal bikini and throwing on a garter is perfectly acceptable. Boy shorts and a lacy tank top works as well. Get creative and have fun!
- This is a Swingers-style tournament, and therefore women do NOT have to register as a team. It is individual sign-up. At the date of the tournament, each game each lady plays will be with a partner the tournament directors have randomly pre-selected for her. This is to make sure the playing field is level.
- We can add more courts if more ladies than anticipated sign-up, but as of right now we expect to have 4 pools consisting of 8 ladies (4 teams). Each person will have a chance to play with and against each person in the pool. Pools will be randomly assigned.
- Rally-scoring, one game to 21, win by 2 points, no cap.
- Based off of total number of wins (or points, in the case of a tie breaker), the top 4 ladies of each pool will pool out, and will progress to the quarterfinals. Single elimination.
- Each game will have a male participant ref, at the cost of a $15 donation. Refs will receive a "swag bag" along with each of the ladies who play in the event, plus a chance to be involved in game challenges (see below), and eternal glory free of charge ;)
- For each game, 2 ladies in the pool who are NOT playing will be assigned to be "Ring Girls" - for each side switch (at 7 points), the Ring Girls are to get up and walk around the court holding up signs advertising the court sponsor's logo.
- No open hand serve receives. Call your own sets (but be liberal... have fun!). Open hand digs only if the ball is hard driven. Let (net) serves OK. Blocking serves OK -- but I highly doubt that will happen :D
As far as Aces is concerned, in order to secure a permit and ensure the safety of everyone involved, this is a NON-DRINKING TOURNAMENT.
Rules of Aces
- The ball MUST be touched by the team receiving it during each play - whether it's a serve or as part of a rally - before it touches the sand. Even if the ball doesn't go over the net, so long as it has been touched by a member of the receiving team, they are safe.
- If the ball touches the sand before first being touched by a member of the receiving team, the following penalties apply: a) First offense: One team member must spin in a circle 5 times WHILE the other team serves, before joining the game again. b) Second offense: Both team members must have their hands tied together (in front) for 2 rounds of play. c) Third offense: Neither team member can use any part of their arms for one round of play. d) Fourth offense: Opposing team gets to suggest a penalty, otherwise repeat the aforementioned penalties in order!
In the style of Lushness, each team may challenge ONE TIME during each game. The challenge can be made at any point during the game, for a maximum of 5 points deducted from the leading team's score. This, to give the losing team a chance at still winning the game. Challenges can be decided by the two teams playing and may involve the ref. Think corn rolls and wheel barrow races :)
- Individual sign-ups will cost $25 per lady. This will include a goodie bag, professional donated photography services during the event, and other crap depending on what kind of sponorships we can get. We're thinking of doing something other than t-shirts, but if we can find something cool enough, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your shirt size.
- To ref a game, a donation of $15 is required, plus $5 more for each additional game you'd like to ref.
- Court sponsorship is $200, and includes Ring Girls advertising the brand at each game, plus we'll find a way to "tag" the ladies with your brand. We're thinking of having silk screened garters made. TBD.
- There will be an auction of donated goods and services, so bring some cash / checks!!
- Remember that this is a FUNDRAISER for a sport and location that is near and dear to our hearts. Let's have fun, and benefit our home turf!
- We do have a permit to hold this event at OP, in case you're wondering :)
***NO REFUNDS WILL BE AWARDED AFTER 5pm PT FRIDAY AUGUST 3rd 2012***
When & Where
To benefit our local beach volleyball courts and/or local non-profit organizations.