Welcome to On-line Registration for the 19th Space Coast Open! You can register here and pay using a Credit Card via PayPal. Eventbrite and PayPal will guide you every step of the way.
About the19th Space Coast Open Chess Festival
An event created by chess players for chess players!
This page last updated April 27, 2012. The list of preregistered players through early on Sunday, April 22 is available here: http://centralflchess.org/?p=1708. IF YOU NEED TO REACH THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR AFTER 4PM ON FRIDAY, CALL THE HOTEL AT 321-783-9222 AND ASK FOR THE SKYLAB ROOM.
Dates: April 27-29, 2012 or April 28-29, 2012
Order the exclusive Space Coast Open T-shirt, coffee mug or postcard! Click here Chess on the Beach T-Shirts and Mugs
Confirmed Titled Players:
GM Lars Bo Hansen (Denmark)
IM Javad Maharramzade (Azerbaijan)
Past Space Coast Open Champions:
2011 – GM Julio Becerra
2010 - NM Eric Rodriguez
2009 - NM Jeffrey Haskel
2008 - IM Javad Maharramzade
2007 (Wojtkiewicz Memorial) - GM Alex Stripunsky
2006 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2005 – GM Julio Becerra
2004 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2003 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2002 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2001 - GM Sergey Kudrin
2000 - IM Virgil Grabliauskes, IM Blas Lugo, NM Marcel Martinez, GM Gennady Sagalchik (tie)
1999 - IM Rashid Ziatdinov
1998 - NM Fabio La Rota
1997 - GM Sergey Kudrin
1995 - GM Gabriel Schwartzman
1992 - Mikhail Braude
1991 - Bruce Koopmans
USCF Grand Prix Points: 40
Master Section FIDE Rated
5 round Swiss System, Top section FIDE rated at G/100+Increment 30 seconds. Lower sections G/120+Delay 5 seconds. (2-day option, round 1 for all sections G/60+Delay 5 seconds). See below for more information about the Master Section time control.
DoubleTree Hotel Cocoa Beach Oceanfront, 2080 North Atlantic Avenue. (Hwy A1A), Cocoa Beach, FL.
$$10,000 b/165 paid, 72% Guaranteed
1. Master/Expert $$1200+trophy-700-300, U2400 $600+trophy, U2200 $600+trophy-300.
2. Class A $$600+trophy-300-200.
3. Class B $$600+trophy-300-200.
4. Class C $$600+trophy-300-200.
5. Class D $$600+trophy-300-200.
6. U1200 $$600+trophy-300-200. U1000 $300+trophy-200. U800 $200+trophy-100. U1200 plus scores not winning another prize: Book Prize courtesy of Hollywood Kings Chess. Trophies to top Brevard County scholastic players in grades K-3, K-5, K-8, K-12.
Top Upsets Rds 1-4: Book Prize
Wojtkiewicz Brilliancy Prizes: 1st $50, 2nd $30, 3rd $20 (Judge: IM Javad Maharramzade)
All, Fine Print:
Players in Master section are required to turn in completed scoresheets at completion of each round (Reference USCF Rule 15G). Rated players may play up one class only. Unrated may play in Master or U1200. Unrated limited to $100 prize unless place prize in Master.
½-point Bye available any round if requested in advance and before round 2 (limit 2). No Smoking. No computers. Wheelchair accessible.
$79 via mail or on-line at this web site (sco2012.eventbrite.com) by 4/20, late entry $90 on line by 4/26 or at site (no credit cards at site); $20 less if unrated or under age 18.
Special EF for Brevard County students in K-12 playing in any section: $20 via mail or on-line at this web site (sco2012.eventbrite.com) by 4/20 ($25 on-line by 4/26 or at site) (counts as ¼ entry for based on prize fund).
GMs and IMs free entry available on-line until 3/31, else $80 from prize. Free entry to past Master Section winners listed above (use GM/IM entry for on-line registration).
Re-entries $40 by round 3 (½ point Byes for earlier rounds).
Indicate 2-day or 3-day when mailing entry. Entries not indicating which schedule is desired will be placed in the 2-day schedule.
Registration ends 1 hr before 1st round.
Rounds: Rd. 1 8pm Fri (2-day:10am Sat at G/60), Rds 2-5: Sat. 1:00 and 7:00, Sun 9:00 and 2:30.
Hotel Rate: $99 single/double, $109 triple/quad, $129 oceanfront (King only), $129 suite ($139 triple/quad occupancy). Reservations: Hotel phone number 800-552-3224 or 321-783-9222, ask for “Space Coast Chess” rate. Mini-frig in all rooms. Restaurant, lounge, pool, beach. Plus many other restaurants nearby. NOTE: Online reservation system does not show all available rates and dates. Call hotel directly to get access to all group rates listed above. Group rate is available for 3 days before and after the tournament. VERY IMPORTANT: Reserve early (by April 7 to ensure room availability at the group rate). The group rate is *unlikely* to be available after the cut off date. RESERVE EARLY.
Note: Bookseller is looking for someone to share room. If interested, call Steve Cernobyl at (954) 347-2661.
Space Coast Open Blitz. 4-SS (2 games/Rd), G/5. Prizes: Cash prizes based on entries. EF $10. Rds Sat. 12:30 & 6:30, Sun. 8:30 & 2:30. (i.e., Blitz rounds are prior to rounds 2-5 of main tournament).
Extras and more Side Events:
Free GM and IM lectures:
- Friday: 6:30pm: NM Jeff Haskel (2009 Space Coast Open Champion), Topic: To be announced
- Saturday: 10am: TBA
- Saturday: 11am: LM Larry Storch, Topic: "How to Handle a Sudden Turn of Events in your Game (Keeping your Composure under Duress)"
Space Coast Open Massage Therapist $1/minute.
Books and Equipment by Hollywood Kings Chess.
Send Entries to: Space Coast Chess Foundation, c/o Harvey Lerman, 921 N. Thistle Ln, Maitland, FL 32751. PLEASE: no phone or e-mail entries. Credit Card entry available via this web site only (http://sco2012.eventbrite.com). ADVANCE ON-LINE REGISTRATION ENDS April 20, LATE ON-LINE REGISTRATION ENDS April 26.
General Info: Peter Dyson 321-452-9863 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Additional Info – Master Section Time Control: The Master Section will use the FIDE standard Fischer Increment time control. This adds 30 seconds after each move, allowing time to be gained on the clock and eliminating time scrambles. In the case where neither player has an Increment capable clock, or are unable to set the Increment feature on their digital clock, the time control will be adjusted. For delay clocks the time control will be G/125+5 seconds delay. For analog clocks, the time control will be G/130. Note that for games using the 30 second increment and using properly set increment capable clocks, both players are required to keep score at all times, even in the last five minutes of any time control period.
Setting Increment with Chronos (see below for Excalibur GameTime)
Want to get familiar with the Increment feature ahead of time? Here are the secrets to setting the Chronos Clock for G/100, Inc/30.
- Turn the Chronos clock on with both play switches pressed. The display will show CH - F1 and CH - F2.
- The closest setting to the time control we want is CH - P5. Short press the center button 12 times. The left display will show CH - P5.
- Press the left play switch to select. The display will now read 0:20:00 (twenty minutes) on both sides. We want to change this to 1:40:00.
- Long press the center button. The clock will beep and the 0 will start to flash.
- Press each play switch one time to change the hour setting to 1.
- Short press the center button, and then Press each play switch two times to change the minutes setting to 40.
- Short press the center button 4 more times to get to the next display, which will read 0:06 (six seconds). We want to change this to 0:30.
- Short press the center button one time and change the second 0 to 3 by pressing each play switch 3 times.
- Short press the center button again time and change the 6 to 0 by pressing each play switch 4 times. The display will now read 0:30 (the last 0 will be flashing at this point).
- Press the center button to accept.
- The display will read 0-bEEP 1-LED. Short press the center button to accept these settings (no beeping during the game, and led light indicating player to move).
- The display will read 0-bEEP At End. Short press the center button to accept this setting (no beeping at the end).
- The display will read 0-HALt At End. Short press the center button to accept this setting. (When a player runs out of time, their clock will stop and read 0:00:00)
- The display will read COPy to 0. Press the right play between 1 and 4 times to select your desired preset user mode (you can use 1 unless you already have another preset user mode saved there that you don’t want to write over).
- Congratulations. You are done! Turn off the clock. To get back to this setting, turn the clock on by pressing the center button the number of times corresponding to your preset user mode (If you selected COPy to 1 in the previous step, you will simply turn the clock on.)
Setting Increment with Excaliber GameTime™ II
Here is how to set the Excaliber GameTime™ II Clock for G/100, Inc/30.
- We will do this by using the Preset for G/100 and then adding the Increment.
- Level the Plungers.
- Slide the PAUSE/PLAY button to PAUSE.
- If the GameTime is on, reset the GameTime by holding the ON/OFF button on the underside of the clock for a few seconds. Now release the button and press it again to turn the GameTime on.
- Press the SELECT button. “PRESET 05” will probably appear on the display.
- Change the Preset number by using the + button (or the – button to decrease it). The desired Preset is 26.
- Press the SELECT button 6 more time until ACCUM OFF appears in the display.
- Press + to turn ACCUM (the increment feature) On. It is preset at 30 seconds.
- Slide the PAUSE/PLAY button to PLAY.
- Congratulations. You are done and ready to play! “F” will appear in the center of the display to indicate the Inc/ACCUM feature is activated. The display will show 100 for the minutes in large type and the seconds (initially 00) in small type.
DoubleTree Hotel Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
2080 North Atlantic Avenue
Space Coast Chess Foundation
Space Coast Chess Foundation & Melbourne Chess Club Peter Dyson, email@example.com