Welcome to On-line Registration for the 18th Space Coast Open! You can register here and pay using a Credit Card via PayPal. Eventbrite and PayPal will guide you every step of the way.
About the 18th Space Coast Open Chess Festival
An event created by chess players for chess players!
This page last updated May 5, 2011.
May 5 update: See Harvey Lerman's article and final standings at the CFCC web site:
May 2 update: CONGRATULATIONS to GM Julio Becerra for winning the 18th Space Coast Open.
April 12 update: LATEST NEWS!! Space Shuttle Endeavour puts the SPACE in Space Coast Open!!! Endeavor is currently scheduled for its final flight on April 29 at 3:47pm. A chance to see a historic event. Come early Friday and see the launch before the first round! The beach in front of the hotel is prime viewing area. If you come early for the launch, allow extra travel time. Be aware that NASA schedules may change. For lastest launch info visit http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html
IMPORTANT: Hotel block now open until April 15, or until block is sold out. Due to Shuttle launch, rooms may be scarce in the Cocoa Beach area, and prices will increase.
Dates: April 29-May 1, 2011 or April 30-May 1, 2011
Confirmed Titled Players:
GM Julio Becerra (USA)
GM Ronald Henley (USA)
GM Carlos Matamoros (Ecuador)
IM Blas Lugo (USA)
IM Javad Maharramzade (Azerbaijan)
WIM Paloma Gutierrez Castillo (Spain)
Past Space Coast Open Champions:
2010 - NM Eric Rodriguez
2009 - NM Jeffrey Haskel
2008 - IM Javad Maharramzade
2007 (Wojtkiewicz Memorial) - GM Alex Stripunsky
2006 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2005 - GM Julio Becerra
2004 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2003 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2002 - GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz
2001 - GM Sergey Kudrin
2000 - IM Virgil Grabliauskes, IM Blas Lugo, NM Marcel Martinez, GM Gennady Sagalchik (tie)
1999 - IM Rashid Ziatdinov
1998 - NM Fabio La Rota
1997 - GM Sergey Kudrin
1995 - GM Gabriel Schwartzman
1992 - Mikhail Braude
1991 - Bruce Koopmans
USCF Grand Prix Points: 30
Master Section FIDE Rated
5 round Swiss System, Top section FIDE rated at G/100+Increment 30 seconds. Lower sections G/120+Delay 5 seconds. (2-day option, round 1 for all sections G/60+Delay 5 seconds). See below for more information about the Master Section time control.
DoubleTree Hotel Cocoa Beach Oceanfront, 2080 North Atlantic Avenue. (Hwy A1A), Cocoa Beach, FL.
$$10,000 b/165 paid, 60% Guaranteed
1. Master/Expert $$1200+trophy-700-300, U2400 $600+trophy, U2200 $600+trophy-300.
2. Class A $$600+trophy-300-200.
3. Class B $$600+trophy-300-200.
4. Class C $$600+trophy-300-200.
5. Class D $$600+trophy-300-200.
6. U1200 $$600+trophy-300-200. U1000 $300+trophy-200. U800 $200+trophy-100. U1200 plus scores not winning another prize: Book Prize courtesy of Hollywood Kings Chess. Trophies to top Brevard County scholastic players in grades K-3, K-5, K-8, K-12.
Special Prizes - Sponsored by Hollywood Kings Chess.
Top Upsets Rds 1-4: Book Prize
Wojtkiewicz Brilliancy Prizes: 1st $50, 2nd $30, 3rd $20 (Judge: IM Javad Maharramzade)
All, Fine Print:
Players in Master section are required to turn in completed scoresheets at completion of each round (Reference USCF Rule 15G). Rated players may play up one class only. Unrated may play in Master or U1200. Unrated limited to $100 prize unless place prize in Master.
½-point Bye available any round if requested in advance and before round 2 (limit 2). No Smoking. No computers. Wheelchair accessible.
$79 via mail or on-line at this web site (sco2011.eventbrite.com) by 4/22, late entry $90 on line by 4/28 or at site (no credit cards at site); $20 less if unrated or under age 18.
Special EF for Brevard County students in K-12 playing in any section: $20 via mail or on-line at this web site (sco2011.eventbrite.com) by 4/22 ($25 on-line by 4/28 or at site) (counts as ¼ entry for based on prize fund).
GMs and IMs free entry available on-line until 3/31, else $80 from prize. Free entry to past Master Section winners listed above (use GM/IM entry for on-line registration).
Re-entries $40 by round 3 (½ point Byes for earlier rounds).
Indicate 2-day or 3-day when mailing entry. Entries not indicating which schedule is desired will be placed in the 2-day schedule.
Registration ends 1 hr before 1st round.
Rounds: Rd. 1 8pm Fri (2-day:10am Sat at G/60), Rds 2-5: Sat. 1:00 and 7:00, Sun 9:00 and 2:30.
Hotel Rate: $99 single/double, $109 triple/quad, $129 oceanfront (King only), $129 suite ($139 triple/quad occupancy). Reservations: Hotel phone number 800-552-3224 or 321-783-9222, ask for "Space Coast Chess" rate. Mini-frig in all rooms. Restaurant, lounge, pool, beach. Plus many other restaurants nearby. VERY IMPORTANT: Reserve early (by April 8 to ensure room availability at the group rate). UPDATE 4/28: Organizer has two rooms available at the group rate. These are for a one night stay (Sat.). First come, first served. Contact organizer directly at email@example.com. The group rate is *unlikely* to be available after the cut off date. RESERVE EARLY.
Space Coast Open Blitz. 4-SS (2 games/Rd), G/5. Prizes: Cash prizes based on entries. EF $10. Rds Sat. 12:30 & 6:30, Sun. 8:30 & 2:30. (i.e., Blitz rounds are prior to rounds 2-5 of main tournament).
Extras and more Side Events:
Free GM and IM lectures:
- Friday: 6:30pm: GM Ronald Henley, Topic: Win Like Kasparov!
- Saturday: 10am: GM Julio Becerra
- Saturday: 11am: LM Larry Storch, Topic: Positional sacrifices: practical examples
Space Coast Open Massage Therapist $1/minute.
Books and Equipment by Hollywood Kings Chess.
Send Entries to: Space Coast Chess Foundation, c/o Harvey Lerman, 921 N. Thistle Ln, Maitland, FL 32751. PLEASE: no phone or e-mail entries. Credit Card entry available via this web site only (http://sco2011.eventbrite.com). ADVANCE ON-LINE REGISTRATION ENDS April 22, LATE ON-LINE REGISTRATION ENDS April 28.
General Info: Peter Dyson 321-452-9863 (firstname.lastname@example.org) April 28 update: messages left at above number will not be checked after mid morning on April 29 (until after tournament). For urgent calls, try mobile number xxx-xxx-xxxx. If no answer, do not leave any urgent messages. Instead, call hotel number (321-783-9222) and ask for the Tournament Director in the Skylab/Atlas room.
Additional Info – Master Section Time Control: New this year, the Master Section will use the FIDE standard Fischer Increment time control. This adds 30 seconds after each move, allowing time to be gained on the clock and eliminating time scrambles. In the case where neither player has an Increment capable clock, or are unable to set the Increment feature on their digital clock, the time control will be adjusted. For delay clocks the time control will be G/125+5 seconds delay. For analog clocks, the time control will be G/130.
Setting Increment with Chronos (see below for Excalibur GameTime)
Want to get familiar with the Increment feature ahead of time? Here are the secrets to setting the Chronos Clock for G/100, Inc/30.
- Turn the Chronos clock on with both play switches pressed. The display will show CH - F1 and CH - F2.
- The closest setting to the time control we want is CH - P5. Short press the center button 12 times. The left display will show CH - P5.
- Press the left play switch to select. The display will now read 0:20:00 (twenty minutes) on both sides. We want to change this to 1:40:00.
- Long press the center button. The clock will beep and the 0 will start to flash.
- Press each play switch one time to change the hour setting to 1.
- Short press the center button, and then Press each play switch two times to change the minutes setting to 40.
- Short press the center button 4 more times to get to the next display, which will read 0:06 (six seconds). We want to change this to 0:30.
- Short press the center button one time and change the second 0 to 3 by pressing each play switch 3 times.
- Short press the center button again time and change the 6 to 0 by pressing each play switch 4 times. The display will now read 0:30 (the last 0 will be flashing at this point).
- Press the center button to accept.
- The display will read 0-bEEP 1-LED. Short press the center button to accept these settings (no beeping during the game, and led light indicating player to move).
- The display will read 0-bEEP At End. Short press the center button to accept this setting (no beeping at the end).
- The display will read 0-HALt At End. Short press the center button to accept this setting. (When a player runs out of time, their clock will stop and read 0:00:00)
- The display will read COPy to 0. Press the right play between 1 and 4 times to select your desired preset user mode (you can use 1 unless you already have another preset user mode saved there that you don’t want to write over).
- Congratulations. You are done! Turn off the clock. To get back to this setting, turn the clock on by pressing the center button the number of times corresponding to your preset user mode (If you selected COPy to 1 in the previous step, you will simply turn the clock on.)
Setting Increment with Excaliber GameTime™ II
Here is how to set the Excaliber GameTime™ II Clock for G/100, Inc/30.
- We will do this by using the Preset for G/100 and then adding the Increment.
- Level the Plungers.
- Slide the PAUSE/PLAY button to PAUSE.
- If the GameTime is on, reset the GameTime by holding the ON/OFF button on the underside of the clock for a few seconds. Now release the button and press it again to turn the GameTime on.
- Press the SELECT button. “PRESET 05” will probably appear on the display.
- Change the Preset number by using the + button (or the – button to decrease it). The desired Preset is 26.
- Press the SELECT button 6 more time until ACCUM OFF appears in the display.
- Press + to turn ACCUM (the increment feature) On. It is preset at 30 seconds.
- Slide the PAUSE/PLAY button to PLAY.
- Congratulations. You are done and ready to play! “F” will appear in the center of the display to indicate the Inc/ACCUM feature is activated. The display will show 100 for the minutes in large type and the seconds (initially 00) in small type.
DoubleTree Hotel Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
2080 North Atlantic Avenue
Space Coast Chess Foundation
Space Coast Chess Foundation & Melbourne Chess Club Peter Dyson, email@example.com