This walking tour is much more than just a tour! The food on our tour connect with stories of the 1893 World’s Fair. With just intermittent walks outside, the 1893 World’s Fair Tour makes for a great walking tour any time of year.
We did serious sleuthing to create a downtown tour of the few remaining buildings from the time of the World’s Fair. People think that you have to go south of downtown to understand the history of the World’s Fair, but it’s impact on the architecture and landscape of downtown Chicago is still visible today.
Tours that identify distinctly as “food tours” have guests eat a ton of food. On our walking tour we will eat a pleasant amount that can comprise a light meal.
Think of this 3-hour-long walking tour as broken up as 5% outdoors, 95% indoors, 20% clue-based games and visual scavenger hunts, 20% food and drink time, and 100% awesome historical tour time. We know the math doesn’t add up – we hope you get the idea!
1893 World’s Fair Walking Tour Highlights
- Colorful mosaics in a hotel built for the 1893 World’s Fair
- The sweeping grand lobby of the Auditorium Building
- Ride one of the last elevators downtown with a human operator
- A secret alley building
- The opulent Chicago Athletic Association Hotel, once an exclusive men’s club
1893 World’s Fair Walking Tour Stories and Ideas
- The rapid changes in culture around the turn of the century
- The 1893 Fair’s array of foods and food sculpture
- Parlor songs in the past
- The beginnings of consumer culture and advertising
- Amusements on the Midway of the 1893 World’s Columbian
1893 World’s Fair Tour Includes
- Professional tour guide commentary
- Shared iPads with historic photos
- Light appetizers and snacks (We can accommodate vegetarians, but cannot make changes for any other dietary restrictions.)
- A beer, wine or soda at one stop
- Game prizes and gifts
Walking Bar Tour DOES NOT INCLUDE
- – Drinks: At our meeting spot, we welcome you to get a drink at the bar before check-in. For our third possible drink stop, you may independently purchase a beer, wine, or cocktail of their choice.
- – Tour guide gratuity or giving program donation.
Walking Distance: 0.9 miles
Walking tour ends inside the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel, 12 S. Michigan Ave.
Link to meeting point map: