Actions and Detail Panel
14th Annual Fox School Scholastic Chess Tournament
Sun, March 19, 2017, 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM PDT
Pre-registration has ended, but there is space available. If you missed pre-registration but your child would still like to play, please arrive at 10:00am for on-site registration; on-site registration ends promptly at 10:30am. If you want to ensure your spot, you can e-mail your information to us beforehand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6 Sections: K-1, 2, 3, 4, 5-8, and USCF Rated 6-8
5 Round Swiss
Time Control (Unrated sections): G/20 d0 (Game in 20 minutes, no delay)
Time Control (USCF-Rated section): G/17 d3 (Game in 17 minutes, 3 second delay)
Entry fee: $23 (plus EventBrite fees) by February 19th, $28 (plus EventBrite fees) by March 17th. On-site registration $35 (10:00-10:30AM March 19th). [* See below for Belmont-Redwood Shores District pricing.]
- K-1, 2, 3, 4, and 5-8 sections are not USCF-rated - beginners welcome! Note: 6th-8th graders who have a USCF Quick Rating of at least 600 cannot play in the 5-8 unrated section; they must play in the rated 6th-8th grade section.
- 6-8 section is USCF Quick-Rated. Must be a USCF member to enter the 6-8 grade section. USCF members in grades K-5 have the option of playing in the 6-8 section (it is up to the parent/child, but I would not recommend K-5th graders to sign up for the 6-8 USCF section unless they are rated at least 600).
- If you are a 6th-8th grader and want to join the USCF, you can do so on the USCF web site (memberships start at $17 per year).
- Limited to first 160 entries. We have averaged over 150 kids per event the past 4 years, so sign up soon!
- Trophies to top players in each section; participation medals to everyone else
- Pizza, hot dogs, snacks & beverages available for sale on site
- On-site registration ends promptly at 10:30am (if you register afterwards, your child will receive a bye in the first round). If you are pre-registered, please arrive by 10:30am for check-in (announcements start at 10:40am).
Round Times & Byes:
- Round 1 - 11:00am
- Round 2 - 12:10pm
- Round 3 - 1:15pm
- Round 4 - 2:10pm
- Round 5 - 3:05pm
- Awards - 4:00pm
Please request byes for any rounds you can't attend. One half-point bye allowed (zero point byes for additional rounds). Half-point bye for final round must be requested before start of tournament and cannot be withdrawn.
Confused about what section your child should play in? If so, follow these instructions:
- Not a USCF member? Then play in the appropriate unrated grade section (K-1, 2, 3, 4, or 5-8). Otherwise, continue to step 2.
- 6th-8th grader with a USCF Quick Rating of at least 600? Then you must play in the 6th-8th grade rated section. Otherwise, continue to step 3.
- Quick Rating under 600? Then you should probably play in the appropriate unrated grade section. Otherwise, continue to step 4.
- Quick Rating over 1000? Then you should probably play in the USCF-rated 6-8 section. Otherwise, continue to step 5.
- Your choice as to which section to play in. Feel free to contact us if you're unsure.
- All USCF rules in effect unless otherwise noted.
- Notation is not required.
- USCF tiebreak rules will be used for awards.