Intended Audiences: Healthcare professionals, safety personnel, law and justice personnel, behavioral health clinicians, educators, community members.
Learning Objectives: Attendees will be able to:
- Explain the impact of behavioral health stigma on health and healthcare of persons with behavioral health challenges;
- Identify common personal and institutional reflexes that risk stigmatizing others; and
- Describe three or more interventions that will effectively reduce stigma in the healthcare settings and the community.
8:30 to 9:00 am Registration and Coffee
9:00 to 10:45 am Understanding the Challenges:
- Welcome and Opening Comments
- The Experience of Stigma
- Impact of Stigma on Healthcare Outcomes
10:45 to 11:00 am - Break
11:00 am - 12:30 pm - Understanding the Challenges:
- Identifying and Addressing our Stigmatizing Reflexes: An Experiential Session
12:30 to 1:30 pm - Lunch on your own
1:30 to 4:00 pm - Strategies to Change the Culture:
- The Change Directions - Five Signs Campaign in New Hampshire: Engaging health systems
- Roles for the Recovery Community in Changing Perceptions
- Reducing Stigma in Healthcare Settings: Creating welcoming environments
- Summary of next steps to change the culture, drawn from the day's experience
Contact Hours and Accreditation:
The New England Institute is a recognized Sponsor of Continuing Education Activities by the Maine State Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors and the New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Professionals. As such, this program is approved for up to 5.75 Continuing Education contact hours for re-licensure, in accordance with 258 CMR.
Application is being made for professional contact hours for social workers.
$45 - General Symposium Registration
$0 - Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Staff Registration
$0 - Student Registration (Must show student ID)
$0 - Scholarship Registration Requested (If payment is a barrier to attendance)
Contact New England Institute of Addiction Studies at 207-621-2549 or email@example.com
Sponsored by Dartmouth-Hitchcock Substance Use & Mental Health Initiative and New England Institute of Addiction Studies
Co-sponsors: Northeast Node of the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network, All Together, and New Hampshire Training Institute on Addictive Disorders
Keywords: Community Health Education, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Employee Events, Medical Certification and Continuing Education